Buying ahead?

Given that babies and toddlers grow so fast, do you buy clothes on clearance for the next season? Have you had any luck with that or do you end up with clothes that your LO never wears?

Drewlove

Asked by Drewlove at 8:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I buy a head. I store things together in sizes in rubber made bins ( 18 - 24 mths, 2, 3) etc.. I keep the bin for the next size up in his room, and the others in the storage area. I only buy one size up ahead of time, but people do give me clothes and those I store. The only thing I don't buy ahead are really seasonal items, like shorts, since if they can only be worn for maybe two months were I live, and if they are too big then they are a waste of money. If t shirts still fit from the summer, or I have some for the winter months, I just layer them over a white long sleeve onsie. I have saved a lot of money this way, so it works for me.
    kiki2780

Answer by kiki2780 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• never wears them, i think "oh this is so big! she wont fit it it forever!" then when i find it.....its too small!! or i will buy them for the next season and she wouldnt have grown much and its still too big.... but its a smart thing to do if you are more organized then i am!!
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 9:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My mom and I both buy my daughter clothes at the end of the season for the next year. She wears most of them, somethings are to big though.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I found it tough to do when my son was very little but now that he's a toddler, I can better predict what size he'll be in 6 months. Thus, I but some things at the end of the season. I find shirts/sweatshirts easier than pants just because they can be a bit big without it being a problem.. Pants are tougher.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• sometimes... I bought a really cute swimsuit for next year that was $3 with a towel cover! If it's something I KNOW she will wear I buy it bigger, if I'm not so sure I leave it!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I can't afford to buy anything new. I get all of my DDs clothes from freecycle. But typically, at the end of the season, I post an ad looking for clothes for the next year. It works out pretty well for me :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:15 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I always buy clothes at the end of season clearance sales. I mark the boxes and put them in my attic. I also buy what I couldn't get at those sales at garage sales or at children's consignment sales that come twice a year.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2009