Am I the only one that "didn't realize" it was real labor?

Everyone says when you go into labor 'you'll just know'...well...I didn't realize it was real labor until I was near transition. I ended up delivering at home. My labor was short (4 hour and 45 minutes)...but not freakishly short. I noticed the contractions for the first 2.5 hours. I googled 'real labor vs. false labor' and I honestly couldn't tell if it was real. I was able to walk and talk during most of my labor. The only time I couldn't was during transition which only lasted about 20-30 minutes...then I was ready to push. I feel so foolish. Friends and family ask me how on Earth I accidentally had a baby at home. I wanted a homebirth so they all think I did it on purpose. I can't explain how I didn't know I was in labor and I totally planned on going to the hospital...it just didn't work out.
BTW - My previous births were induced. This was my 1st spontaneous labor.

hopinforanother

Asked by hopinforanother at 8:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• With my DD I didnt know I was having contractions...I thought she was sticking her butt in the air lol. I had been having them for 2-3 days before I was induced, and when I went to the hospital to get induced I told my DH to look cause she was sticking her butt up and the nurse laughed at me cause it was really contractions lol
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 9:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• wow thats really scarry. I'm pregnant with my first and I have no freaking idea what to look for when it comes to labor. And I'm 38weeks,this really makes we more aware of evrything going on with my body now.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• That's not scary, its awesome! Some women just have an easier time then others. With my second, I had BH contractions all the time, so when "real" labor started, I really didn't notice. The only intense part of my labor was the last 2 hours! It was great! I had a planned homebirth, and I felt way less stressed then my previous hospital birth. I know that helped so much, because if I was planning another hospital birth, I would have been stressed about when to actually leave. Next time just plan a homebirth! You know you can do it now! :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:19 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Wow that sounds amazing, with my labors there was no comparison to anything else, they were just definitely real contractions. I really envy you! I'm not saying they must have hurt less than anyone else, I think you have a higher pain threshold and think it's awesome.

Congratulations on your baby.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 7:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I didn't realize I was in labor with my first child. I, too, listened to everyone who said "You'll just know." I had a weird feeling in my stomach most of the day but it didn't hurt. It was more annoying then anything. When I told people about it they said it wasn't real labor because I wasn't in any pain. I was only 36 weeks so I figured it was just false labor. When DH came home from work I told him and he started timing them and it turn out they were contractions and they were 3-6 minutes apart. We called my doctor and he said to come in just to get checked out. The nurse in L&D said I'd probably be sent home because I wasn't in pain. When my doctor checked me I was 8cm dialated.

With my other 2 labors I knew I was in labor but they both went very fast. I'm currently 37 weeks pregnant and get nervous with every cramp. lol Hoping to make it to the hospital in time.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 11:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2009