Is this right?

I have this landlord who is a slumlord in imo. He refuses to pay a exterminator for the cockroaches. He said we brought them. Which is a lie. Because before we we moved in here I saw some and told him. Plus I have never had cockroaches in my house ever. In the winter our sewer backed up and we had to live with fecal material in our basement for a week because he didnt want to pay for a plumber. He wanted to wait unto the water went down. So everytime the heat kicked on the house smelled like poop. I threatened to call housing on him. Roto Rooter was at our house the next day. Today our water was shut off. He said he told my dh it was going to happen and he never did. Also we had mice here and the landlord said to buy glue traps. I got into it with him. He said we had a month to leave. And asked if we were going to go quietly. I said " Hell no". He said he was going to come out smelling like a rose. He didnt take in account all

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 9:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband works for pest control. I recently just got rid of roaches. Here is a fact about roaches. They carry HEP B and about 30 other diseases. There is a new show on TV and I encourage you to watch it. It's called VERMINATORS. It is the law (I think everywhere) your landlord has to make an attempt to rid you of pests. If he wont, you need to check out Your states renter rights. Call the Health Department for advise.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 2:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• continued That i know my rights and how we are living isn't right. The roaches and mice. Plus we have three special needs kids. I told him he could explain to the judge why he felt no need to get rid of the roaches. Plus we take pix of everything too that have timestamps.
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I would say get out while he is offering for you to leave without breaking a lease. You can push the subject but it will never be a happy situation.
    mommytoangel407

Answer by mommytoangel407 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Thats terrible!! I would just leave too, but I absolutely HATE confrontation, even when I am right. You are definitely right, that is a horrible living situation and he should be better than that! Good luck with whatever you decide. Make sure you don't take those roaches with you!! Roaches are really hard to get rid of, if you ever get rid of them and they will follow you to your new place.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 9:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• All I can say is take him to court; you have proof. You can also call out a repairman and bug sprayer yourself, and TELL your landlord that he is paying for it. If he doesn't sign for it, then you pay it, and tell him it comes out of your rent. Any judge would rule in your favor. NO one should be forced to live in filth. And that sewage back-up is enough for any health dept to kick his ass.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Call the health department and then call a lawyer to find out what can be done.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 11:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2009