5 month old not wanting solids???

i have a 5 month old daughter and ive been feeding her formula flav. rice cereal, but thats all she will eat.I'ive tried to start others like banana baby food, and peaches, sweet patatos, sweet peas etc. All she does is gag and spit up? any suggestions on easing her into them???

Roxiannamomma

Asked by Roxiannamomma at 9:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep her on cereal for a little longer. You could do rice, oatmeal, etc., and also the fruit flavored cereal. With my DD, after she was used to cereal, I didn't give her straight baby food. I mixed about 1 part baby food to 2 parts cereal. You could even do 1:3 to start. Start with the foods that barely have a flavor (apples, peas) But if she's not ready, she's not ready.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• ummm thats cause she is NOT READY FOR THEM!!! plain and freaking simple they say to not even start at all till 6 months that spitting it out is cause she is not ready yet! wait awhile
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i agree that it's probably that she's not ready for solids. some doctors still tell parents to start at 4 or 5 months but research shows that it's better to wait until 6 or 7 months. i would just wait another month and then see how she takes to it. start slow. like at 6 months we would feed our son just once per day and he would hardly eat anything. then at 7 months, we would feed him 2x per day and that's actually when he started seeming like he really wanted to eat some. before then it was just more like play time. lol.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Usually, spitting out at that age means she may not be physically ready to take it in a swallow. You could wait sometime and introduce them in a couple of weeks. You could also thin out the items with a little water. PP was not very nice about it, but it is recommended to wait until your LO is 6 months old before trying out solid foods. You should also only try one food every 3 days (or more if there are allergies in your family). This will help you determine if she has a reaction to a given food and what food it is. I know it is painfully slow at times, but it is all for her, right? :) GL
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 9:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• srhmldndo gives great advice! My son didn't take solids until he was much older (he has some belly issues), and as long as she's getting her formula/breastmilk, she's in good shape! You can also try moving to oatmeal and barley cereal, or get the flavored rice cereal if you like... but don't worry, she may just take a while before she's ready for "baby food." Try to wait a few weeks and offer again. best wishes!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• ok is this better..... dont give solids if she spits out means she is not ready yet... does that work better for you ::rolls eyes::
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Maybe thin the banana with some formula. Or make your own. Some of those jar foods are really flavorless. I used to feed my baby fresh banana all the time. She never really liked the jar stuff. You need to add a liquid to get it mushy. Use formula. If that doesn't work, try again in a few days or next week. Until they are closer to a year old, solid food is just for practice! Don't be too pushy or they will not like eating on their own.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 9:44 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• i think waiting a while is good advice.

also i read that cereal actually isn't the best thing to start with, that things like sweet potato, banana, and avocado are more nutritious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• :) Thanks CafeMom for cleaning up this question and so promptly!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• So, because I was defending the questioner from payton being so rude and always being rude, I'M THE ONE THAT GETS DELETED???? I guess I miss judged this site! Time to find some place new!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2009