First diaper rash, and I'm CLUELESS!!! Help us!!

My DD is 8 months old, and I've never had to deal with a diaper rash before. For the past 2 days, her vag lips were slightly pink, so I put ointment on it, and when the color went away, I kept her powdered to keep the moisture away. Last night, it looked like she was finished with it.

This morning I got her up, and I guess she pooped in the night, because her poop was smeared all over under her diaper. Now she has a rash so bad that her skin is raw. It doesn't look like she has skin in some places. It's really bad. All over her vag and butt, and in the creases in her thigh (where her legs meet). I have been putting ointment on her all day at every diaper change. And about twice I put powder on her.

If it doesn't get better tomorrow, I'm thinking about just letting her run naked for awhile, but I'm scared she'll poop all over, lol.

Any ideas, anyone? Like I said, I'm really clueless about diaper rashes.

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 9:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DO NOT put any ointments on it. PROMISE. it gave my daughter urine burn... it holds the rash in. When my daughter had urine burn... and every time now... I started off just rinsing her in the sink or in the tub with luke warm water... then rub aloe on her bottom. It is so good for the skin... then after the aleo dries in. put some Vitamin E on it ( go to walmart near the vitamins and they have it in stick form... i think for a dollar or something) THEN when its cleared up... instead of powder and ointments GET VASOLINE LOTION that has aleo OR vitamin E in it... its in the beauty department... its a few bucks and it lasts a while. I am so serious this works SO great. Please let me know how it works for you (P.S. I use it at the day care I work at ... and i've not been failed yet. lol)
    KayKayaputie

Answer by KayKayaputie at 10:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Oh, also, she starts screaming when she poops and I change it. I guess wipes are aggravating her rash. (I'm using Sensitive baby wipes.)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Eliminate the powder continue the ointment and it wouldn't hurt to leave her in the buff for a little while.
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I have a boy - so I'm not sure about the vag area :-) - but try Boudreaux's butt paste with A&D or Aquafor on top of it. I've never used powder. Yes, letting it air out works well... maybe just line the floor with towels!! Lol. If it does continue to be really nasty/raw, contact your doctor - they might prescribe nastatin oinment. Works like a charm.
    Keep using ointment if that's all you've got - it'll help! You're being a good mama - I hope it clears up soon. It is so hard to see them all red like that on their tush!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Use warm wet washclothes to wipe her right now. My daughter has super sensitive skin and always gets rashes (not so much anymore, we figured out a perfect combo of things to do). If you can find this stuff called Dr. Smith's Diaper ointement, get it. It is wonderful stuff. Smells kinda bad but works great. Just cake her in it. Let her run naked for awhile, Its not bad to clean up if she makes a mess somewhere. Get some air on that rash. It make take a few days to get it cleared up because it sounds pretty rough, poor baby. Good Luck!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• leave the diaper off for a while, I use Desitin and that helps my dd right away. Put it on her for bed and in the morning it should be better if not gone. Maybe try a wet wash cloth instead of wipes until it gets better? I hope she feels better soon!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I agree with no powder. I have very sensitive skin and actually get diaper rash. I like Burt's Bees Diaper Ointment. My grandson had diaper rash that my son "the RN" had been trying to get cleared up. Grandma used Burt's Bees once and it went away!
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• usebag balm..it clears it up right away
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I highly recommend the Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Avoid the wipes and use a soft cloth and water if you can to clean her bottom. If you have time try just giving her bottom a rinse in the sink or tub then pat dry carefully. Change her diaper as often as possible as soon as she urinates or has a bowel movement. Letting her air out always is a great way to help try doing it for 10-20 minute intervals just after she soils her diaper. If it's really bad you can call your Dr to have to check to see if she needs a prescription.

My DD got a nasty rash from an antibiotic and we used Milk of Magnesia and Corn Starch mixed together into a paste. It took a few days of frequent changes and using the paste to clear up.

Also make sure to wash your hands really well before and after changing her. If you have flat cloth diapers you can try using one of those with pins to give her bottom more air without leaving her bare bottomed
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 10:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Go to your local pharmacy and ask them for resinol! I swear by it I will NOT use anything but this cream. My dd just got over diarrhea and she had a horrible rash like what you are describing and I got this and within two days she was all clear. The cream is for rashes and poison ivy and bug bites but trust me it is the best thing I have ever found for a diaper rash I have used it with all three of my children. Good luck.
    momofthree28

Answer by momofthree28 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2009