Should I find her a new home?

We have a female beagle mix about 3 1/2 - 4 yrs old. She isn't spayed and I can't afford to have her spayed right now. I also definitely can't afford to install or have installed an electric fence. Here's the problem.... or list of problems....
She has been a digger since we got her about two yrs ago. (Btw, she showed up at my grandparents' house and no one claimed her for a few days.) When we brought her home, she stayed in the fence for a few weeks w/o much problem. Maybe she would find a loose spot and get in the front yard but not roam far. After that, I ended up having to chain her and I HATE THAT but we have a city leash/fence ordinance. She started digging under the fence a lot so that's what we had to do to keep her from getting run over. The past month or so, she's figured out how to get out of the collar attached to the teather (sp?) and gotten out like 5 - 6 times. 3 times, I had to pick her up...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Pets

• or someone brought her home like tonight. I feel like we don't spend enough engaging time w/ her and she needs other dogs to play w/. We do NOT need another dog. We can't even appropriately take care of her.
    It would break my children's hearts if I give her away but I'm at my wits end! She keeps taking off and we're near some very busy roads. I would really hate to see her run over on the side of the road somewhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If you're wanting to keep her look on craigslist for a pen so she doesn't have to be chained up. Then your children can go in with her and play, and teach them how to take her for walks, it's good exercise and it teaches your children how to care for her. If that's not an option then look into beagle rescue in your area. They will take her and there's a better chance she won't get put down unlike taking her to a pound. If you don't have a rescue then try the local humane society. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Put a choke collar on her and/or have the kids walk her daily! I mean like before school, after school, etc.
    I would also like to add without sounding too much like a beach, Having a pet is a big responsibility! Pets must get their vaccines!!! I can't tell you how many times I've had neighbors get puppy's and only to have them die from parvo or worms when they got older! PLUS check out your area for a "neuter scooter" it's a mobile place that spays and neuters pets for a very reasonable fee!!!
    Good luck with this!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• When she needs to go out go out with her and watch her. Find a park you can take her to - off leash ones are great.

If your life is too busy to take a dog out, then you need to look at your life. What can you eliminate? Are your kids involved in too many activities?

I was a single mother of 3 boys, full-time doctoral sudent, cub master, boy scout troop committee member, La Leche League Leader, and my kids were in baseball and tennis, and we homeschooled one year. We had 3 dogs and no fence. I know what it's like to be busy but having the dog is a reminder to take that walk or watch the dog outside or go to the park.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Leftlane, she is in a pen already and our entire backyard is fenced but she digs under it the entire length of the fence even when she IS chained.
    No matter what I decide to do, I WILL NOT take her to our local humane society. They have a horrible rep for putting down adult dogs the day they come in. Front page news a while back, a collared dog was taken in and put down w/i an hour. The ppl who took him in knew the owner but were elderly and had no way or place to take care of him until the owner got home from work. They took him to the humane society to keep him from getting hit by a car. Then he got put down. Now it's a HUGE lawsuit. I seriously got off topic. Anyway, I love our dog but IDK what to do for her or with her that is in EVERYONE'S best interest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Many, many beagles dig. It's one of the things they were bred to do; dig down into the rabbit's or fox's den while hunting. If she's unspayed, that will definitely compound the issue.

Check with your local humane society/SPCA. There are many state-run programs to help with spaying and neutering animals. Visit www.spayusa.org to find out more info on programs.

Beagles are also definitely pack animals, more so than many other breeds. They were bred to hunt for foxes and rabbits in packs. They often benefit from having doggy friends.

If you feel that she doesn't get enough attention, save yourselves and her a lot of heartache and find her another home. If the shelter in your area has a high kill rate, you can try posting her through your local vet offices, newspapers, or even craigslist. Also, petfinder.org has a lot of resources that might be useful as well.

Good luck!
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 10:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• get a harness, not a collar. the loop is situated on their back. set up a runner in the yard, hook the line to the harness. she can go as far as the line hanging above her. my dog has a runner. she can't reach it to chew it. as far as the spay goes... there are places that do discount spays. they are clean... they just dont use as much pain meds as a regular vet. you can use alternative pain meds at home (www.vetinfo.com for more info). We have one here in Chattanooga, TN called Wally's Friends. they dont advertise. you have to find them. they do a spay for under 50 pounds of dog for $80. that's the cheapest I've heard and I used to work in a couple of vet clinics/hospitals.
    GennyTurner

Answer by GennyTurner at 10:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Yeah i would take her somewhere if you really can't appropriately take care of her! But if you decide to keep her,Tell the kids if they really want to keep her they will have to start taking her for walks and keep her inside the rest of the time! The vet bills for a runover dog can amt. to great issues, I know, my doxie just got run over and we have 1500 in vet bills to pay back to my mom.
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I am feeling frustrated with my dog right now too, so I understand how you're feeling.
    If you feel you need to rehome her, don't feel bad. She'll benefit being somewhere that she has a little more room to dig and explore. Plus, you will have a little less to have to add to your list every day. It's great that some people can manage a very busy schedule and still manage lots of time for their dog, but some people can get overwhelmed with it all. Good luck in your decision.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• call your local shelter for the number for a low cost spay/neuter program. We paid 25 dollars to spay my dog.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2009