5 month old & pacifier.

Is it time to give the pacifier up? She only wants it when she is reallly tired, she can put it back in her mouth on her own and all she really does with it is chew on it because of her two teeth. She is 5 months. Is it time to just throw it away?

sopheeahsmommy

Asked by sopheeahsmommy at 10:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I say give her a teething ring and throw the bink away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• no.. a year to 2 years is the time to say bye bye bink
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• also I want her off of it by a year.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 10:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• That's way to early, if she is chewing on it it's probably cuz she is teething and it feels good, if you really want her of it then I would Waite till she is 12 months.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 10:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• That is a very personal choice. There is no real set time for getting rid of it. So if you really prefer her not to have it then go for it. If it doesn't bother you and she appears to be comforted by it then there is nothing wrong with letting her continue to have it. It also helps reduce the risk of SIDS.

For my DD the pacifier was a car/nap/bed only item except when she was teething and her mouth was bothering her. It helped her deal with the pain. She just finished getting her 2yr molars (she's 22mos) and I am getting ready to toss it.

I wanted to toss it at a year but ran into the grandparent issue. I am glad that I let her keep it through getting her molars as they definitely bothered her more then the rest of her teeth.
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 10:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It's up to you, my daughter just turned 2, she only uses it to sleep at night and I'm trying to break that too.
    taratt79

Answer by taratt79 at 10:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• If she wants it to nap when she is tired and to chew on because she is teething, then I don't understand why you would throw it away. I would continue to let her have it, like PP said it helps with SIDS and just worry about it later. Ours would never take a paci, consequently, he still has a bottle at 2 y/o. Same philosophy, it's comforting and it soothes his teeth when they hurt. His molars are coming in and after that, I'm sure he'll give it up on his own.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• No, I would say let her have until at least a year. I breastfed so I weaned my son of breastfeeding at a year (mainly because I had to have surgery and I wouldn't be able to breastf eed after) and the paci at 15 months. He did perfectly fine with both.
    amanda090784

Answer by amanda090784 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• you know my son is 7 months now and he is just like your daughter, he only wants it when its nap time or bed time. I was worried I might have a hard time tryn to get him off of it. The other day I was meeting up with my school advisor and brought my son with me, and I was talking with this lady who happened to be there. She was telling me she wished her son would've taken the paci because it would've helped with him not putting stuff in his mouth. I never thought of it that way, but it is very true. I let my son play and explore every inch of the house but I make sure he's paci is in his mouth now, so that he won't be putting anything in his mouth. I think as long as you do not let her paci be her only comfort, it'll be okay. I'm planning on getting him off when his 12-18 months old.
    mype

Answer by mype at 12:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2009