Is there such a thing as brushing the dog too much?

I was brushing our dog (a German Shepherd mix) the other day for a few minutes and started wondering if there's a point of overdoing it.

zboys

Asked by zboys at 10:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Pets

• Hmmm.... I don't know. Our dog is a mixed breed and I often thought about that too. Maybe once a day or every other day would be fine? You may wanna ring up your vet and ask.*mental note~call vet tomorrow and ask about brushing

If this question is still up after talking to Token's vet I'll post an answer.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I was a dog grooming asst. for a year... and let me tell you, whatever amt. of brushing you do, it will neve be too much. But if you are brushing to get rid of all the shedding, get a deshedding comb, a good expensive one online, and it will help tremendously. Also use a good shampoo and conditioner when giving the dog a bath! It can help loosen up fur. If you are just doing it to do it, I wouldn't worry about it too much with a german. They don't get matted as easily as many others do@!
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Thanks to those of you who answered! I do need to call the vet tomorrow regarding a vaccination for our dog.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 11:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• AidensMommy: I'm a grooming assistant as well, and I can tell you, there is DEFINITELY a point where brushing a dog becomes harmful. They can get brush burn from slicker brushes, and Furminators (while amazing) can actually hurt their skin if you go over the same spot more than once or twice. However, if you're using a curry-type brush, that's fine to do for as long as you like, as long as the dog is tolerating it well.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 11:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2009