(postpartumn) heavy period with blood clots

I just got my first period 4 days ago which was 5 weeks after giving birth to my little girl. i had the lochia for 3 weeks and then it stoppedfor 2 weeks. i then started to have bad lower back pain and cramping and then 2 days later started bleeding. The cramping and bleeding is just like a period so i feel like it is my period.

The period is really heavy. today is day 5 of the period and this morning when i went to the bathroom i passed a couple of large blood clots. i went back to bed for 4 hours and when i woke up to pee again the same thing happened. i haven't had any more real large blood clots today but small ones. my period is still heavy and not tapering off any. i was just wanting to know if this might be normal since this is my first real period after child birth or do i need to be concerned. I called the dr. today to check but they did not call me back. if anyone could help me i would really appreciate it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• since ive had my son 3 months ago, my periods have been alot heavier then they used to be, and they last longer. they used to last 4 days, now they last 5 or 6. but ive never had any blood clots, and by the 5th day they started to get lighter. im not sure if you should be worried or not, but i would probably call my doctor back again tommoro and make sure. GL
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I had the same problem after baby number 5. I took 600 mg Motrin every 6 hours during the days of my period to decrease the bleeding. It wasn't a cure all but it helped a little. I had this problem for almost a year and my doc suggested I have a hysterectomy. Hubby and I decided we wanted another child and got pregnant instead.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My first period after the first initial 6 weeks of bleeding was aweful. I was passing clots the size of liver and it looked just like liver. These large and smaller clots went on for a couple weeks then I had a couple weeks of just like a normal period. This was my first period after having my baby and it lasted 28 days. I called the doctor and the nurse said it was normal and the first few periods may be like this. All my other periods were normal after this first horrible period.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I had the same thing. My first one was awfullll. SOOOOOOOO heavy. I always had moderate but longer periods so I never had to worry about a tampon getting super full. This first period I was going through a super tampon before an hour was up! It was ridiculous. I had a small cloth or two. I bled heavy the whole week. It sucked. Then my period came 23 days later again. It was like making up for lost time for sure. The second one was heavy but not AS bad. Still way worse than pre preg. The third was heavy but manageable and came 30 days after the second...but wasnt heavy the entire week. I was always irregular and I would go past 30 days between periods. Now I have NO IDEA what is going to happen next. I am always afraid I will start randomly. Ugh I hope it will get better eventually!!!!
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2009