How much does it cost for a homebirth?

Is it less expensive than a hospital birth? Does there really even have to be an expense at all? We don't know what kind of health insurance we will have with our second baby and I would like to go with the cheapest route!!! I don't care how he comes out, I just don't want a huge hospital bill! I had an emergency C with my first due to her being breech (we were in the military at that time), does this bring my chances for one down or does that not matter at all????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• There are lots of things to consider with your post.
    First, if you go to a hospital, you will have a c-section again. That is a huge cost. If you have a home birth, you most likely will have a natural vaginal birth. You have to find a homebirth midwife. Prices will vary by area, and by individual midwife.
    Second, the safety factor. Lots of people think that hospitals are safer, but in reality, they are not. There are lots of studies, books and forums where you can learn more about homebirth.
    Here are some resources.
    www.ican-online.com
    http://www.vbac.com/
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/50251
    Born In The USA by Dr. Marsden Wagner

By the way, my homebirth was $3500 (California), and that included all prenatal appointments, the birth itself, and 3 additional checkups for myself and the baby. Plus, because I had built a relationship with my midwife, I was able to call her anytime for any questions, which is priceless!
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:10 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Personally i'd be more concerned of the health and safety of myself and my child over the cost. If it's something you want to consider then look into it but don't just do it because it's cheaper.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2009