Anyone know how to help after blood loss??

For the past week, I'd been having anywhere from 3-8 bloody noses that last 10-15 minutes, except for one, which I call the Colossus. It was from both nostrils and bled for 30 minutes. They were VERY heavy nose bleeds.
On top of that I had the flu for a week, nausea, diarrhea, and slight fever - that was controlled with Tylenol. Plus, I'm 8 weeks pregnant.
I saw my doctor today, and he has me on iron pills because I'm anemic... then they did a prenatal blood screening, and took quite a bit of blood.

Anyone know what else I can do? I've been feeling pretty queasy, lightheaded, dizzy, and break out into cold sweats. The doctor was concerned but not overly concerned - I go back on Thursday.

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 10:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• “The most important nutrients to [rebuild blood cells] are collectively referred to as the hematinics,” he says. “These include iron, vitamins B6 and B12, and folate, plus vitamin C to help with iron absorption.”

Of these nutrients, iron tops the list. Abundant in red meat, soy products, and legumes, this critical mineral helps build oxygen-transporting red blood cells. Fortified breads and cereals, along with red meat and poultry, also supply vitamins B6 and B12, two nutrients responsible for protein synthesis and new cell production necessary for restoring lost blood. Folate, another B vitamin, complements the other B’s by ensuring proper cell division among newly formed red blood cells.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• (CONT.)
    Although legumes, fortified grains, and leafy green vegetables contain significant amounts of folate, many busy new moms don’t eat enough of these foods to get the recommended daily dose. Prenatal vitamins supply folate, as well as iron and vitamin B12, so many nutrition experts suggest continuing these supplements for at least six months after delivery.

From~
    Mother's Helpers
    Refortify your postpartum body with the best foods and nutrients
    By Karen Ansel, MS, RD
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:23 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• It's for postpartum, but still seemed relevant.
    Hope that helps. Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:24 AM on Sep. 1, 2009