heavy periods with blood clots

I just got my first period 4 days ago which was 5 weeks after giving birth to my little girl. i had the lochia for 3 weeks and then it stoppedfor 2 weeks. i then started to have bad lower back pain and cramping and then 2 days later started bleeding. The cramping and bleeding is just like a period so i feel like it is my period.

The period is really heavy. today is day 5 of the period and this morning when i went to the bathroom i passed a couple of large blood clots. i went back to bed for 4 hours and when i woke up to pee again the same thing happened. i haven't had any more real large blood clots today but small ones. my period is still heavy and not tapering off any. i was just wanting to know if this might be normal since this is my first real period after child birth or do i need to be concerned. I called the dr. today to check but they did not call me back. if anyone could help me i would really appreciate it.

Ashley.herzing

Asked by Ashley.herzing at 11:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Health

• hello there maybe i can help. my name is cat260 . after my 3rd son was born i had the same issue. everytime i bent over or peed or sneezed i passed blood and clots . i thought it had stopped but it didnt. i woke up in middle of night feeling very weak and sick. please dont be alarmed . i went to er because i felt as thou i was going to pass out. when i got there i hadbarely blood pressure. they gave me a shot to slow bleeding and ended up having a d/c. imy dr. told me i probably had a very small piece of plenctia left inside that no 1 could have notice when examinining the plenctia afterbirth. you need to go to dr asap. loosing to much blood is not good. and if your nursing thats okay too the hostipal will help you pump so you can save milk for baby. and the meds should not alarm you when nursing baby. please let me know what you decide to do. cat260
    cat260

Answer by cat260 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Im with ya right now! And for 5-7 days EVERY month!
    airforewifenmom

Answer by airforewifenmom at 11:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2009