Anyone else suffer with PCOS?

I am trying to lose weight before my anniversary vacation in Oct. Any tips about what works? I count calories most days and use an elliptical every day. I am not losing any significant amount. :(

tophersmama

Asked by tophersmama at 11:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes, I have PCOS, and because of it, I actually have a thyroid problem AND the insulin resistance that typically goes hand in hand with PCOS.
    I have that "classic" look for PCOS and thyroid. I have a round face -thyroid problem and a belly pooch (that's now enhanced by pregnancy) but that's from the insulin resistance.
    Everything else is about average - not slim.. but not "fat"

Have you been screened for those 2? Because with the right medications for both, weight loss becomes considerably easier - you still get stuck in that little rut where you lose a bit of weight, and it just seems to reach a plateau - but it helps!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 11:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I also have PCOS, insulin resistance and hypothyroidism. I take metformin and synthroid to manage the symptoms. These meds don't "make" you lose weight but they level the playing field. I also avoid "white" carbs (white bread, white rice, potatoes, etc.) and sugar.

HeathersBabies

Answer by HeathersBabies at 11:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• Your doctor could possibly prescribe you Metformin, but you'd have to talk to your doctor if that is right for you. That helps lose weight a bit if you have PCOS. Also cutting out or cutting back on carbs is going to help....although it's hard to do!
    lilmissJ

Answer by lilmissJ at 10:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2009