what is a reason for a lobotomy?

My understanding of them is that they make you brain dead? Why would a doctor give a person one? Maybe its an outdated procedure I don't know that's why I'm asking :]

pookipoo

Asked by pookipoo at 11:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Health

• is that a frontal lobotomy or a bottle infront ofme?? my favorite joke of all time, ok, now that i've gotten that out of the way....
    a lobotomy is an outdated procedure. a small very thin blade was introduced to the frontal lobe through a patients eyelids, and basically just destroyed a bit through random movements of the blade. gruesome but effective. effective for who you ask?? effective for the caretakers of psych patients who were combative and destructive and not able to follow instruction. oh joy.
    your frontal lobe contains the portion of your brain that creates your personality. no frontal lobe no more personality. creating a compliant and non-violent patient.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I think they should give them to sexual predators. In the past they used them to subdue mental patients. See One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest with Jack Nicholson, classic movie.

writeon

Answer by writeon at 11:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It is an outdated procedure. It started with patients in insane asylums to make them "calm." If you have seen "From Hell" the character Anne receives and lobotomy.
    HomeschoolingJa

Answer by HomeschoolingJa at 11:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• They are for the mentally ill. Its outdated though. They used to do that to patients back in the day. It was thought to calm them down and to cure their mental disease. Stuff like this really takes my interest. Ive read up on it.
    CandyMama231

Answer by CandyMama231 at 12:20 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Yeah anon my mom told me about rosemary that's why I decided to ask :]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• The frontal lobe contains everything that makes a person who they are. In the old days, cutting into the frontal lobe was supposed to alter the personality and "cure" mental illness. My father has had repeat brain tumors on the right side of his head and has had his frontal lobe messed with too many times. He went from being halfway caring to a completely different person. I think that's what the psychiatrists were aiming for in that time period.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• If you had one can you function or are you a vegetable?
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Some can function, some can't, some die, and some don't even remember getting the lobotomy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobotomy
    HomeschoolingJa

Answer by HomeschoolingJa at 12:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2009