Is 10 months to early to be teaching not to play with food?

Whenever my 10 month old daughter plays with her food I stop her and tell her that food is for eating not playing. I know that a little playing is normal but she LOVES to play in her food more than eat it. I stop her and give her a warning four times and then take her down from her highchair if she continues to play. Is this too soon to be teaching this????

hansonfan1985

Asked by hansonfan1985 at 11:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yup!
    She's feeling the textures, and even getting in a little taste.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 11:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I agree. "Playing" is how they explore their world right now. Food is new and they want to experiment with it.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 12:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• No it's not too early. My daughter is 8 months old and I've been teaching her not to play with food for a little over a month. She's pretty good about it now. She keeps her arms out to the side, lol, it's so cute. Sometimes when we get done eating, I'll let her play with the bowl and spoon to experiment though. She's pretty good at getting the spoon in her mouth the right way, lol.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:05 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Well, for nursing babies, first year food is about playing with tastes and textures. I let my son play with his food for a long time.
    Recently, we've cracked down. He's twenty months old now and when he's done, he's gotten in the habit of either flinging his plate across the table or else dumping it on the floor. Obviously, neither is an acceptable option to telling us he's done. But up until a month or so ago, we were pretty lenient.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:24 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I think its ok for them to play with there food. i have 3 babies and they play with there food all the time, but i dont worry about it because if they dont eat it at that time than when they are hungry they will eat. i would rather them play with there food than not seem interested in food at all.
    ashley541_love

Answer by ashley541_love at 1:09 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I think it depends on wether you breastfeed or formula feed (IMO) if you formula feed then playing with food should be taught out a little earlyer if you breastfeed i think they should play for a little while longer then formula fed babies... IMO
    jewelxkitty

Answer by jewelxkitty at 3:05 AM on Sep. 1, 2009