any input would be great.

im 38 +5 weeks pregnant and im experiencing some vaginal dryness and discomfort. 5 days ago i had my membranes stripped and i have been having a lot of bloody mucus since. i have also had intercourse a few times. i just dont know where this discomfort is coming from. i know its not a yeast infection. any advice would help. im worried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Dryness isn't a sign of infection, it's probably just hormones due to pregnancy. It's a personal question, but are you sure that you're turned on when you start having sex? Are you taking time enough for foreplay? It can be harder to get turned on when you're in your last month of pregnancy for many women. They feel self-conscious or are thinking about the baby instead of their partner. You probably just need more time to lubricate before you start :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Vaginal dryness is actually really common when you have a baby. I actually had the opposite problem while pregnant, but after I had my baby I was always dry. LUBE is your best friend!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I thought you weren't supposed to have sex after your membranes were stripped? not being a smartass, genuinely asking the question...
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• rhianna1708: No sex after the water breaks because of the risk of infection. If there is nothing put in the vagina, including fingers of doctors or nurses, the risk of infection is extremely low.

Stripping membranes is a bad idea really. It irritates the cervix (which causes the bleeding), introduces a mode for infection, can accidentally break the water -- which is a bad idea also for similar reasons, can be painful, and does not work unless a woman is really teetering on the brink of laboring all on her own.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2009