How do you get your kids to take medicine?

I have 2 boys and they are the WORST at taking medicine. Liquid? Forget it. Chewables? They don't believe me when I tell them it's candy. Mix it with milk? Juice? Yogurt? Ice cream? Pudding?

How do you give it to them?

CA_Mom_of_2boys

Asked by CA_Mom_of_2boys at 11:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well you should never tell them it's candy, that's why kids end up breaking into the medical cabinet and eating meds.

My daughter has always been pretty good, but she was on a reflux medication that tasted terrible, so I would give her a piece of candy (M&M) afterward, it was a bribe and it helped clear that taste out of her mouth.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2009

• mix w/apple sauce my doc said this is how they test most kids drugs so its safe, and hides the taste best. or ask the pharmacist to add flavor, theres like 15+ diff flavors they can add now.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My kids still can't do pills, so it's always liquid. For the bad tasting meds., when they were young, I'd mix it with applesauce or chocolate pudding. Now that they are a little older, I give them a couple chocolate chips right after they take it. They melt really quickly and gets rid of the medicine taste.
    Lov4nzyx2

Answer by Lov4nzyx2 at 12:03 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my youngest has been on pill medications since her first birthday for seizures. we used to crush it and mix into yogurt/ice cream anything that was mushy and strong flavour.

then she stopped accepting anything by spoon so I just have to hold her down , force pill into the side along the cheek and into the back of the mouth. where the gag and automatic swallow reflexes are. pisses her off but get the meds in.

same with liquid - in the dropper to the back of the mouth on the outside between cheek and teeth (so they can't bite) and then straight into the throat.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Great answers, Mamas! My boys don't like applesauce, but I love the chocolate chips idea.

What do you do about the gag reflex? I hate when they make themselves throw up then I don't know how much to give them again.

Keep the ideas coming!! Much appreciated!!
    CA_Mom_of_2boys

Answer by CA_Mom_of_2boys at 12:16 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my daughter loves medicine.so, i dont know what to tell ya...everytime she gets a cold, she gets all excited about having medicine..and all i hear all day long is, "is it time for medicine mommy?"

actually there was one time she had an ear infection and usually she gets a liquid medicine..but it was her dads weekend so he took her, and ended up with pills..she was 3 at the time..and the only way i could get her to take them was to crush them up, and put it in a spoonfull of peanutbutter..and she didnt even notice
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• If it is a tablet, you can crush it and mix it with pudding or frosting even. If it a time released med, applesauce works the best, but if they don't like it, that doesn't work. I found to practice taking pills M & M's worked, they are about the same size.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:01 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We used to have that throw up problem with Jacob when he was taking reflux meds as an infant. Our doctor said it's a safe bet to give them only half of the original dosage again if they've just thrown up. Chances are that a lot of it was absorbed on the way down if it stayed in them for a few minutes.

jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 2:46 AM on Sep. 9, 2009