How much do you pay a maid/cleaning person to clean your house?

I know most of us probably do our own housework, including me, but I am asking because I am thinking about offering my services as a house cleaner in my neighborhood and I don't know what to charge. So my question is how much do you pay, how big is the area that you have cleaned, how often do you have it cleaned, and what does the cleaning entail (floors, rugs, toilets, walls?)? I have NEVER had my own home cleaned so I have no idea! Also, do you use a large company, small company, or single person, and what made you choose that option? Thanks for all your help!
Stephanie

FritosMommy

Asked by FritosMommy at 11:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009 in Home & Garden

• My house is 3 bedroom/2 bath. I pay a lady to come do all the floors (sweep/mop/vaccuum) except for my teenager's bedroom and also clean the bathrooms and one sliding glass door. She doesn't clean as well as I would if I had the time, but you can't beat it for the price. She comes every two weeks and charges $35. She probably spend around an hour at my house each time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Oops - I forgot to tell you why I chose the single person. She was referred to my husband by a lady he works with who also uses her. Since she has a key to my house, I really needed some sort of reference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• When I worked ouside of our home, I did have a person come one day a week to clean. We have a 3 bedroom/2 bath house. Approximately about 2800 square feet. I paid her 60 dollars for the day and she was expected to sweep/mop, vacuum, clean the bathrooms, change the sheets on the beds, dust, sweep the porches and clean the kitchen (extra cleaning not dishes). I chose a single person because that person tends to become like a member of your family, a company is too distant. I also liked having a single person because if there was anything outside of this that I wanted cleaned I could ask and pay her extra to do, like twice a year she and I would both clean the windows and the screens inside and out, then take down curtains and wash and iron them. It was really nice to have someone that I could count on to help with those type of big projects.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 6:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have not had anyone but I was talking about this with a friend the other day. Her house is just over 5000 sq ft, 5 bed/ 4 1/2 bath. She has a single person come every other week to do floors, mostly hardwood, dust, clean sinks/tubs/toilets and countertops/sink in the kitchen and pays $85.
    CJsMommy040506

Answer by CJsMommy040506 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I clean houses and this is what worked for me. I called several individuals from Craigslist and a couple agencies. I had them come to my house and give me a bid. They also will tell you exactly whats included in price and how much for extras. That will give you an idea what the competition is charging and what most do in general. I hope that helps.
    yldflwr

Answer by yldflwr at 5:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2009