I did a breast feeding no-no and now I need help!!!

I confess, I let my daughter fall asleep while nursing. All the time. Now she is almost 11 months and I want to start weening her completely after she turns a year old. This will be hard considering she has used me for a paci at bedtime. I need all of the advice I can get. She won't take a real paci and absolutely refuses a bottle. Help!!!

hansonfan1985

Asked by hansonfan1985 at 12:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree that is NOT a breastfeeding no no. Good for you for hanging in there so long and BF your LO. I nursed my dd until she was 13 mths. I started to cut back on feedings around 10 months. The last feeding I cut out was bedtime. It was really not all that hard. She was getting all she needed for food during the day. I had transitioned her to whole milk (for each feeding I took away). I offered her whole milk at bedtime (in a straw cup) and her daddy started talking over the rocking to before bed. She took it like a champ. I was terrified she would reject whole milk, not sleep, insist on nursing... borrowed troubles!

It may not actually turn into a problem. Wait and see. LOs are very resilient and she will adjust!
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 12:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my two younger brothers refused a bottle. they went straight to a straw. try finding something else she likes to drink from. if possible pump and put in that cup. so she can substitute you every once in a while for a sippy. as far as for falling asleep. i'd wait till right as she starts to nod off then take away breast and if needed rock her to sleep, or just go lay her down. if you have to pat till she calms down, then leave and let her go to sleep. hope some of that might help!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Sweetie, that's not a no-no. That's what babies are designed to do. They get a rush of hormones that make them sleepy when they start nursing.

Nursing after a year has a lot of great benefits, but if you're dead set on weaning you will just have to replace nursing with lots of cuddles and love.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Get her a sippy cup that she likes, pink, dora, w/e. Put something yummy in it when she's eating and get her used to it. Then slowly decrease the amount of time you breastfeed. Make it only first thing in the morning and at bedtime. Stick with the routine and she will be fine. Don't stress, she will be fine.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:09 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• With my DD I started nursing her while her and I both layed on our sides, after a while I just had to hold her for a little while in that posistion and that was enough.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My son ALWAYS fell asleep nursing and he was done with it by 15 months. I still rock him to sleep at 20 months but when he wakes at night, he can put himself back to sleep without any trouble. Your daughter feels safe and secure going to sleep and that will help her self sooth as she weans, I promise!
    I started with day time weaning. We tried starting with night time but it was a disaster. We began when he was 11.5 months old. In place of breakfast nursing, he got a sippy of *whole* milk and a taste of our breakfast. As we progressed, I would offer the sippy before offering to nurse. Many times, the sippy was enough but sometimes, only nursing would do. By 15 months, he'd calmly weaned himself completely.
    Take your time, try not to make any other major changes (nurse/rock her to sleep as usual until you're ready to tackle night time weaning) in the next couple months, and she will most likely wean with little trouble.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• BTW - my DD hated pacis and bottles too! Straw cups were our lifesaver!

Be careful giving her milk at bedtime long term - the sugar can rot her teeth.
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 12:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• well...my DS still falls asleep most nights nursing and he's 19 months old...but a suggestion if you are going to wean at this stage...please do it gently and slowly. It's going to take time. If you co-sleep at all or if you'd be okay with it for a time...consider having the baby sleep in the bed with you when you are NOT nursing her to sleep. We did this the other day when I had to have surgery and was not able to nurse for 12 hours...so DS had to go to bed and he couldn't nurse. He lay in bed between me and my DH and he cried a bit...but he nestled in...and I made eye contact and snuggled...and he fell asleep.
    Good luck!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• That was NOT a no-no. Not a bit of it.

Dad now gets bedtime duty.

You drop one feeding per week till gone.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2009