Toddler scissoring legs really worried

my 15 month old daughter often scissor her legs. this started around when she was 4 months. she has been diagnosed with low muscle tone. she sat independently at 6 mo, rolled from back to stomach at 7 months and stomach to back at 8 months, she started crawling at 11.5 months and is now pulling to a stand but is not cruising. i am concerned because i feel that this crossing of legs is hindering her development. lately she prefers to cross her legs than crawl. its really weird. so far dr are telling me that i have nothing to worry about. but i feel there is still something not right. does anyone have any experience with this. please share....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Has she been evaluated by Early Intervention?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:09 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• That all sound completely normal to me..... I think you are overthinking it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Certainly have her evaluated or get a second opinion. You use the term scissoring - is this an involuntary thing? Or is she just crossing them to cross them? Always follow your instincts.

However, I must ask, do you cross your legs? My DD loves to cross her legs. She was mimicking me. It wouldn't matter if I was currently doing it or not. She had seen me sit that way many times - and she just thought it was the way to sit. Such little copycats they are at this age!

Babies develop at different ages. My dd rolled over at 10 months, started crawling at 10 and 1/2 months and started cruising at 11 months. And she was not at all considered delayed. She now RUNS everywhere!
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 12:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• trust you momm instincts and get a second opione but honestly every baby developes on there own time and i dont think hes really that far behind. My first child did things very early he was rolling over at 3 months sitting by 5 months and crawling at 6 and walking with out the furniture by 9. My second who is 4 and half months feels he doesnt need to roll over or try to sit on his own hes content just playing on his back or belly. Try not to stress to much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My daughter has hypotonia also. 15 months isn't even on the end of average to be considered late in walking. 18 months is still considered an average age to begin walking.
    HomeschoolingJa

Answer by HomeschoolingJa at 1:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• thanks everyone, she is getting physical therapy thru Early intervention. its just such a slow progression. but she is meeting milestones and i guess that's more important. my only concern is the scissoring of the legs i think its voluntary but she also strains while doing it. I had placenta previa during the pregnancy and I bled quite a few times and was hospitalized. I've read that cerebral palsy is associated with placenta previa and scissoring of the legs is one of those symptoms. but the Dr don't think so plus they said they don't make an official diagnosis for CP until 2 or 3 years of age. god forbid but it is still so worrisome. .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Hypotonia doesn't go with Cerebral Palsy, that would be hypertonia (high muscle tone.) I don't know if it is possible to have both. Did you ask the physical therapist about the scissoring?
    HomeschoolingJa

Answer by HomeschoolingJa at 12:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My daughter also scissored her legs when she was young and did not walk until 18 months. She is now 3 1/2 and still scissors her legs unvoluntarily very tightly. She also flaps her hands a lot, maybe spasms? Just curious if anything was discovered with your daughter. We're going to take ours to the neurologist. Developmentally she is on track, a very good talker, very smart, she runs and dances. The unvoluntary muscle movements concern us though. Hypotonia and hypertonia can both be signs of CP. Please let me know how your daughter is doing.
    nursenikkifl

Answer by nursenikkifl at 12:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2010