How bad is a bag of microwave popcorn on a diet??

I buy the light butter ones ... but is butter all that bad when breaking a diet? I mean i could be a burger or an ice cream... is popcorn just as bad??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Pop corn is a LOT better than a burger or ice cream.
    The light butter is fine - but the cracked pepper and no butter ones, of course, are better.
    Popcorn packs a lot of fiber and fills you up and makes you feel fuller for a longer time than a burger.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:15 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Popcorn is good...but the microwave popcorn is full of more crap than just the fake butter! Popcorn is an excellent food, but you have to make/eat it right. Get an air popper, or a stir-crazy, or something. Shoot, you can even make it in a regular pan on your stove! The key is to use little oil (you do have to use a little!), no butter. You can season it with other things that are just as good or better tasting than butter (trust me, I LOVE me some popcorn doused in real melted butter!). You can eat 10 cups of air popped popcorn for fewer calories and none of the chemicals for the same number of calories as just a couple cups of microwave popcorn. Not to mention the cost difference between popping your own vs. sticking a bag in the micro!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Take a look at the package, you might be surprised.

If you're not hungry, it's more calories than you need.

If you are hungry, check the fat content (even 'reduced fat' can have a massive amount) and the salt load. Salt is baaaad for losing weight.

Take a look at the 'serving size' while you're at it. We all eat a whole bag, but the measure of a 'size' in the nutrition breakdown is a whole, whole lot less than that. Like 'serves 6' kind of whole lot less! So, if you're eatin' it all, you better be multiplying those calories so you know what you're getting into.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You should defintely get an air popper. It's alot healthier then the microwave packages and definitely a good snack to have while on a diet especially if you just eat it plain.
    lilmissJ

Answer by lilmissJ at 10:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Before I got my own popper I bought the 97% fat free popcorn and then sprayed it with that fat free/calorie free spray butter when done. Then topped it with that orange popcorn salt......man, it was GOOD! totally didnt even feel like I was eating light popcorn!
    Lesa0622

Answer by Lesa0622 at 8:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I switched to the 100 calorie mini bags of popcorn. It's just enough for 1 person and you don't risk eating too many extra calories.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• You can buy a popper for your microwave, or use a brown paper bag, to pop plain popcorn without using any oil. I like to sprinkle on a bit of nutritional yeast; it has a cheesy/salty flavor sort of like parmesan, and has loads of B vitamins.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I use brown paper bags too - the lunch bag size is great. If I really want a little butter, I use a tiny bit of Smart Balance, but not too much.
    lbjbarbie

Answer by lbjbarbie at 12:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I just got a recipe for plain popcorn you how to make it taste better from a weight loss plan. You use half a bag of taco seasoning, put it into the popcorn bag a shake it up... I am looking forward to trying it. I also was told that it is one of the better and filling snacks you should eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Sep. 18, 2009