Sippy Cup meltdown....

My son was born at 26 - almost 27 weeks - just throwing that out there... he's not 14 months, almost 15 months old.
He WILL NOT take sippy cups. Of any form.
Straws. Playtex, Nuk, Nuby, uhmm.. Gerber, the cheap brands, everything! He just sits there and gnaws on them.
Did anyone have this problem?
His pedi said it's just because he's a little delayed, so it'll be in time, but... even if he wasn't - he'd be almost a year old now.
Suggestions??

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 12:23 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried giving him one without the valve in it, so he realizes what it's for? Is he on bottles yet? I say throw out the bottles if he is, and keep pushing & offering the sippy. What about holding him on your lap and helping him hold a regular cup? Oh, what about the Tupperware ones? The bell glass with the lids? They're not no-spill, but they'll grow with him (2 aged lids, then no lid when older). Also, what age did you first introduce it? It seems a lot of parents wait to long to introduce the sippy - it should be started around 6 months. Have you tried straw sippies?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• YES, My son was born at 32 weeks, some things are delayed.
    Just wait untill he is ready, he will let you know, do not push him.
    If you want more advice, please contact me...My son is 16 now.
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 12:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I'll suggest what I did to teach my son the straw...it might help: Dip a regular straw into a cup of water or whatever he likes to drink most...then plug the top with your finger so you hold the liquid in the straw...and slowly put it in his mouth...letting him see that he drink will come out...but make him suck a little. Do this a few times and he should catch on. Maybe then he'll handle the straw concept better.
    Good luck!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:39 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I'll try your advice out, boomamma. That's one I haven't tried.
    Anon, yes I've tried with and without the valve. Yes, he is on the bottle - but with him completely not using sippy's, I won't get rid of all of them. I already said I tried straws, woman! lol. :D I was thinking about the Tupperware ones....do I look on their website?? O_o

SissyAnn- I'll send you a friend invite. :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I agree with Boomamma, that is what I did too. Also try holding him on your lap like giving a bottle but with a sippy. That helped my daughter too. I say dont push too hard just keep offering the sippy and if he refuses it give him a bottle, then offer a sippy next time and just keep doing it. Eventually he will take it. Good luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I do what Boomamma does, even now at 2. Dd loves it! Also consider just a regular cup. A sippy isn't absolutely necessary. Also, if your child isn't ready, don't push it too hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Can you try a straw instead? I work with individuals who have delays and alot of times thry have trouble with cups because their noses get blocked and they don't like the sensation. They make special cups for this called nosey v cups or try a straw. Not that your son has a significant delay or anything. It could just be a sensory thing.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2009