How old were your sons when you let them use a public restroom on their own?

If you have sons, when did you let them go into a men's restroom instead of taking them to the ladies room with you? My son is 8, but I don't feel comfortable sending him on his own and he doesn't want to go on his own. He seems kind of old to be coming into the ladies room with me though. How have you handled it.

tiggermom803

Asked by tiggermom803 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yeah id say hes alittle to old to be going into the womens room with you now.
    My son was about 6 when i would stand out side the mens room and hed go in and pee if i thought hed been in there to long id ask a gentelman to please go in or id open the door and call his name. He liked to play in the water in the sink lol.
    its your call but at some point you have to let him grow up and 8 is to big to be using the womens room
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I don't have boys but my friend has an 8 year old and she takes him to the ladies room. She walks him in blindfolds him, puts him in the stall and waits. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My son is almost 10, but is small for his age I hate having him in the mens room all by himself you never know what kind of weirdo might be in there. I would keep taking him with you. there is no harm in it. I mean if he was a teen then ya there is a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• 6 1/2 in places we visited often and weren't busy. He's almost 8 now and goes by himself all the time. He even walks across the restaurant to use the bathroom. I only get up to walk the kids if my 3yo needs to go. The other kids go on their own. We aren't usually out without my husband so in stores my husband will go in with him or we wait outside the door.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My ds is 5 and is starting to from time to time, depending on the place and how busy said place may be. He went alone at a football game Friday night. (Small school, not many ppl around bathroom, well lit.) And I waited outside. And I agree, under most circumstances, 8 y.o. is a little old to be going into the ladies room.
    rachel92782

Answer by rachel92782 at 1:15 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My 9 year old son started going into the men's bathroom at 8. He asked because he felt uncomfortable going into the women's with me - but at the time I was a single mom so it was hard. I wait for him right outside the door and watch who's going in/coming out.

Answer by missanc at 8:23 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My kids started around 5 depending on the place. Gas stations are nasty, so we would avoid or I would take them in. I am not sure what people think will happen in a restroom in a decent place like the grocery store or Red Robin. Not to judge, but 8 is too old to be in the womens restroom. If there is a family restroom, then do as you please, but a shared restroom?
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't let me 8 year old go into a men's room alone at the amusement, or a highway rest stop, but if we are out at a restaurant I would. Wal Mart and Target would be okay with me waiting outside the door.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Depends on the place. A nasty cow made a comment about my son being in the womens restroom. She said he would try to look through and see women like her naked. She also said that is how rapists and perverts are made. I covered my sons ears then said trust me my son does not want to see your nasty fat ass naked and he is 6 not some pervy guy. She got mad and left a couple of other women were laughing.lol

Some places like the mall he is going into the family bathroom with me. If other women are upset by that they can kiss my ass. My childs safety is more important than their comfort level.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• If other women are upset by that they can kiss my ass. My childs safety is more important than their comfort level.

Why are your rights more important that others? Its the WOMEN's bathroom, not you and your son's bathroom. Why not use the Men's room? Or is it all about you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2009