Do you ever fight in front of the kiddos?

Im talking like full on fighting, not the little arguments.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nope...I dont think they should see that.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:01 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• They have seen us disagree, and have from an early age, because I think it's important that they learn that even people who love each other and are committed to each other can have disagreements. But if they're of a really personal nature (lol - yes, all fights are personal, but if they're about something adult in nature) we don't do that in front of them, or if it's about them and a disagreement with parenting choices we don't do that in front of them.

Also, we don't have "full on fights" of the sort where we're cussing each other, insulting each other, screaming and yelling, etc, whether the kids are there or not. It's not productive to solving the problem, it's destructive to the relationship, and doesn't really make either person feel better anyway, so no, we don't (and wouldn't) do that in front of them.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Yes. I was in an aubsive relationship and DD witnessed quite a few fights. It disgusts me and makes me feel like less of a mother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Anon,

You shouldn't feel like less of a mother. Did you choose to be in an abusive relationship? I mean, I seriously doubt that when you met him you said "cool, I really hope this guy hurt me, and bonus points if he does it in front of the kids!'

Please, look at your post and note the operative words there - WAS in an abusive relationship. Key word being WAS. You had the courage to get out of it (believe me, I know how hard that is, I grew up in an abusive home), and your kids saw that, too. THAT'S something to be proud of - you "put your money where your mouth is" and taught your kids by your example that being treated this way is NOT acceptable.

You should be proud of that!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:20 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Honestly my husband and I have had maybe 2 fights since we have been together. Even then we did not yell or scream or anything violent. One of these were after my son was born and other than possibly hearing few sharp words my son was not exposed to anything negative.

Even if he were having a disagreement I wouldn't be too upset if my son were in the room. We work things out like adults and discuss what are problems are. We try to come to a solution that is agreeable and we never call each other names. I think it is healthy for him to see how adults work out problems. When adults know how to work out problems in a healthy way.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Yes we disagree in front of her, but never yell or use names b/c that is not conducive to working out problems. We do most of our "arguing" while we are in another room so that she is not exposed to the larger disagreements which are usually parenting related.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009