for the herbal mommies out there...

me and dd along with majority of my family is sick. bad cough fever runny nose congested etc etc....

well my dd is sick too and i have herbal teas... breathe easy and a few others, what age did you start giving your LO teas for when they are sick?

obviously wont be hot ill give it to her room temp but shes so congested its sad :(

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:17 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Peppermint is a great expectorant and will help clear her nose. Brew it weak and give it with a spoon. Also, start the shower on the hottest setting and sit in the bathroom with her. You can express some breastmilk and put a drop or two up her nose and then use the nasal aspirator. The breastmilk contains antibodies to the specific infection she has and will do wonders to clear it up faster. Nurse nurse nurse! And try to rest with her whenever you can to keep up your own strength. If she were older (I'm assuming here based on your picture), then there is more you could do, but for babies that's about it.

Good luck and feel better!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• thank you very much!! :) i will try all of that. and ive been breastfeeding like crazy actually lol, i was sick before she got sick and was hoping she wouldnt, but i kind of assumed she would since she is with me all the time.

thank you very much!!
    oh... how should i put the breastmilk in her nose?? can i use like.... a syringe bulb? or what
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Steam in the shower.
    Keep her head elevated.
    Saline nasal drops at every diaper change. Suction only if you can see stuff loose (too much can cause the passages to swell and make it hard for her to breathe)
    Run a humidifier in her room.

Tylenol for discomfort if you're okay with that.

It's not the breastmilk itself that works, it's liquid...however, you don't want to just squirt water up there. Breastmilk or saline drops help break the mucous up and make it thin so she can drain easier. Either works the same. The cold is a virus and has to run its course, unfortunately. Hope she feels better soon.

I'd be very careful about any tea or herbs for one so young without guidance of a pediatrician. There are some which are NOT good for babies. (not to mention babies aren't supposed to have anything but breastmilk or formula anyway.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My theory...not sure if it's correct, hence why it's a theory, lol.

The nasal passages are basically pure mucous membranes. Substances are easily absorbed there. Since your BM has antibodies for this specific illness, your BM up her nose is your best bet to get her little nose cleared up fast.

I also wouldn't give tea to a baby that young, but what I would do, is run super hot water in bath, and add peppermint essential oil. Obviously you're going to keep baby away from the tub, but if you close the door, and all windows, it will still steam up.

GL mama...I hope you and baby feel better soon!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We gave about an ounce of chamomile tea a day to our daughter when she had colic; if you are breastfeeding, I would stick with that, and steam.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2009