Is this the Governments resposibility?

Childhood Obesity, I think taxing everything is not very fair to those who don't abuse the consumption of those products. Why should I pay extra for some parents mistake in not enforcing moderation and exercise on their children?

"A strongly worded report on child obesity released on Tuesday recommends that state and local governments tax junk food and soft drinks, give tax breaks to grocery stores that open in blighted neighborhoods and build bike trails."

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN31395859

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i think it should b taxed it is not a necessity
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I am with you OP! I HATE being punished because someone else is too LAZY or STUPID to understand that you CANNOT eat fast food and junk food all the time! I am underweight, I enjoy my occasional Oreo, my family eats a box in a week and a half, we buy 2 two liters for every week and a half and we occasionally enjoy McDonalds, why I should I pay more for those pleasures because there are too many fat kids in the world? I just don't get what has happened to self responsibility. If you don't want the government telling you to vaccinate your kids or how to medicate them, etc. etc. why should I put up with the government taking more of my hard earned money and telling me what to eat? It really irritates me!

I hate when people say "It's our problem, it's affecting our children!" My kiddo is a 30lbs 3.5 year old, she's no where near obese. I feed her fresh fruits and veggies every day. When she gets a treat, it's one or two M&Ms!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Sorry but if they really think that only junk food is causing this problem they are so wrong. At least where i live children are healthier and have better eating habits because we have made major changes to the school lunches and also the children are being educated at lunch about proper potions and proper food choices. Taxing junk food isnt going to solve the problem.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:07 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I workout 5 days a week and we eat clean and healthy every day, we do a take out night twice a month (which is usually Chinese / Sushi or pizza) I think I should be able to have a piece of cheese cake or some reeses cups when I am pms'ing and not need to be taxed out the rear! They are taking it too far now. They can protect reproductive rights but not my right to eat what I want with out going broke? Craziness!
    OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• It's ironic. We are unhealthy because of the crap that is in the processed chemically based foods we eat. We choose to eat those foods. The FDA says those foods are "safe" for us. Now they want to tax us for eating those same foods. Stay out of our lives for the love of God, if we are stupid enough to eat the garbage that you approve shame on us. It is not the governments job to police our food and tell us what we should and should not eat.

TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 6:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I don't know about where you all live, but here, in our town it's not like you can run by the drive thru and grab and ACTUAL fresh salad or bowl of fruit. And as it is - I can eat lunch at McDonalds for a measly $4 - a fruit bowl from the grocery store costs $6.99. I bought bulk, made my own salads and fresh fruit for ONE week - it costs me almost $65 for a weeks worth of stuff - (by the time I bought everything, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, celery, dressing, croutons, feta cheese, shredded cheeses, cranberries, bananas, apples, honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon, grapes, pineapple - and the list went on) By the end of the week - I was up to my eyes with salad and fruit - AND I had diarrhea! How healthy was that? LOL So let's see - Micky-Ds $4 X 5 days= $20 or salads/fruit $65 - huh, no wonder people choose the crap food.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:03 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Kids are overweight because: Parents don't parent. Parents are lazy and make poor choices for the lives they are responsible for. Now because the government deems these parents as incompetent to raise their children to make responsibledecisions, WE as a nation have to bare the burden..... Ridiculous. I want the government OUT of my families life. I make the best decisions for my children.. We do NOT need a nanny state because SOME Americans can't be responsible. Do people NOT realize that little bit by bit they are controlling more and more of your lives???  People who support government encroachment???  WHY?  Where is personal responsibility in this nation?  Death of Common Sense.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• pacemyself - diarrhea to clean all the crap out of your body! hello, fibrous fruits and veggies will do that to you!!! that's a good thing. your health is worth that extra money! saturated fat, cholesterol, high sodium are all a recipe for obesity, high blood pressure and heart disease. If I eat McD's for lunch, I feel the food all day in my stomach. Not right. I can't believe that you would eat that everyday!

funny your name is "pacemyself", yet you don't seem to be able to pace your own diet. good grief.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• They'll make up ANY excuse to tax anything these days... Do they REALLY think people are going to cut down on buying junk food just because the tax is a tad higher? OF COURSE NOT! I mean, come back to reality now.. lol!
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 8:31 AM on Sep. 1, 2009