How can I help my baby to sleep through the night?

I have a little boy who is one week from being 6 months old. He takes approx 4-5 6oz bottles from 7.30am to 7.30pm, also takes 3 spoon feeds, rice cereal, a fruit and a veg. He then wakes twice a night for 2 more 6 oz bottles!! I am becoming overly exhausted and would love some input on this subject. Thanks moms!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All I can say is good luck. My daughter didn't sleep through the night until she was 18 months-old.
    HomeschoolingJa

Answer by HomeschoolingJa at 2:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• It all depends on the baby, try heating the bottles so they're a little warmer then usual right befor you put him to bed, if that doesn't help sometimes if you rock the baby to sleep or lay on the couch/bed etc. with them until they fall asleep before you move then to their crib/bassinet they tend to feel more comfortable and sleep longer. These aren't proven methods just things i've noticed helped when I was babysitting.
    jewelxkitty

Answer by jewelxkitty at 2:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• OMG i know exactly where your coming from..my son would not sleep through the night he always woke up. So i asked the doctor about it and he said he's getting enough food and formula during the day there is no need for the night bottles so he said if I'm okay with him crying it out then let him. Which I"m a very big believer in crying it out so I did that. It took a couple nights of him waking up and sometimes crying for hours in the night and I still didnt get much sleep but after a few days of that it got better only a couple times later did he cry and after about a month he never cries anymore during the night unless he's teething and sometimes he'll cry for a little bit throughout the night. I also used to be bad about bottle at bedtime to fall asleep so when he was turning a year i had to stop and I did the same thing just letting him cry it out until he fell asleep and now about a month later he never cries at bedtime
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 3:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• if he does cry its only for a few minutes..If your okay with crying it out I say DO IT!!! They'll learn not to expect u to come in there and feed them after a while.
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 3:01 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• good luck, they only sleep through the night if they feel like it lol
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• wow, my 6 month old preemies take 9 oz bottles. I think u might be feeding him too little. Idk there are charts on the average they should be eating. Thats a 3 oz difference. Maybe try making a 9 oz bottle and letting him eat until he is full- playing with nipple, turning head, etc. Good luck!
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 4:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• The book I read that helped me get my children to sleep was Babywise: Giving Your Child the Gift of Nighttime Sleep. It's not strictly a CIO method, but it does involve some fussing on the child's part. Using the book's method, all 4 of my kids were sleeping 8 plus hours/night by 2 1/2 months.

Answer by missanc at 8:11 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Babywise is a joke. The guy who started the program even says it's not good. LOL

If he's waking and taking two almost full bottles, he's hungry and he's not ready to sleep through the night. You can either let him go and fuss/cry for a while...letting him go hungry, or you can get up and feed him, satisfying his hunger.

Welcome to motherhood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• "If your okay with crying it out I say DO IT!!! They'll learn not to expect u to come in there and feed them after a while. "

The key part of this sentence is that "they will not expect you to come" doesn't matter if it's for food or not. STTN is a milestone and every child is different. I HATE hearing a doctor say that a baby who wakes up at night doesn't need the nutrician if he is eating well during the day...and they know this how? I still wake up at nights hungry, the difference is, I am not (and don't want to) growing at an amazing rate, I am not going to double my size in the first year, I do not need the extra nutrician because I have stopped growing...unless I want to grow the wrong way :)>

If your baby is only waking 2-3 times a night you are doing very good it is pretty normal for kids that age to still get up that many times.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• AS for Babywise.....stay away! The APA does not recommend it and it has been shown to lead to failure to thrive in babies.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2009