How do you teach a 1 year old "NO"?

He laughs when I tell him "NO".

Asked by Linzeekp at 3:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With a one year old, the best method is distraction.

Answer by nell_brinkley at 3:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Pop his little behind when you tell him no and he won't be laughing.

• Yeah - becuase hitting kids is a good idea! (sarcasm)
    Redirection is the best. Tell him no, take away whatever it is, and move him to something else. You can use words like No, HOT! or no, Owie, to show WHY it is a no. Sometimes taking tempting things or blocking areas of the house off is the best way to do it. Just be consistent and use the same words and he will get it eventually. Sounds like right now he is laughing because you are responding to something he knows you will respond to.

Answer by sapient at 4:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Make sure you say it in a firm voice & then move him away from whatever he's doing. If he's touching an outlet (for example) get in his face & say "NO! Don't Touch!" and then move him immediately. In my house, when my toddler touches something dangerous (stove, outlets, pulls dog's tail) then he gets a slap on the hand too.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• First of all, that's normal. Second, I agree with the mom who said distraction is best at this age. "Wanna' read a book?" or "where's the kitty?" or something else that my children likes worked 90% of the time. When it didn't work, phsyically re-directing them would. I would pick them up with a kiss or a cuddle and walk away from whatever had their attention and then distract them with something else. Try to keep the no's to a minimum too. It doesn't mean anything if he hears it a bazillion times a day. You want him to listen when it's *really* important (such as when he's reaching for the hot stove) so you have to eliminate any unnecessary no's. Ask yourself is it *really* important to say no in this circumstance. If not, re-direct him.

Answer by jessradtke at 11:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• i feel that all the answers here a right, just use them all. my twins are now 15 months. until about 11 months they never really heard "no" because the apartment we were in was totally baby proof. when we moved back to FL and stayed with my parents for a while they first started hearing "no" and they got it quick. we would say "no" firmly, take them by the hand and lead them away. if they went back they'd get another "no" and a little pop on the bottom, it doesnt hurt cause of the diaper - it more scares them. then they come straight over to get hugs and say "sorry" if its an outlet or something hey may get a little pop on the hand. now they are 15 months and i say "no" if it doesnt work i walk towards them and they stop. and baby proofing is great but if the place is totally baby proofed with nothing that they can't do or get to then they will never hear "no" and therefore never know what it means.

Answer by mrspierce06 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 25, 2008