is anyone a mom that had a child with someone that had previous kids and a child support order with them

My husband and I are having a baby in dec, that was totally not planned. Doctors were sure I couldnt have children and for years I accepted that, I was on birth control as well to regulate my period. money is very tight now and he is trying to get a child support modification so we can take care of this baby. I was just wondering if anyone has done this before and how it played out

sdolyak21

Asked by sdolyak21 at 2:44 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• They will only lower his child support if his income and bills have changed drastically. Meaning, if he's making the same as he was before, and his bills are all basically the same (with the exception of the new baby), it's likely there will be no change. In fact, if his income has increased, this modification request could actually hurt you rather than help, b/c they could increase his child support. The only major thing that could happen to lower the support, is that (in FL, anyway), they can take up to 60% of income if there is only one family to support (which would be the child(ren) the order is for), but only 50% if there is a second family (which would be your baby). So, if they are taking more than 50% of his income, it could be lowered. Hope that helped a little. I know it's not the answer you wanted to hear, but unfortunately, that's the way they do it. Congrats on the new baby!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I am due in october and my BF has a five year old little girl with his ex wife...we haven't asked to get it lowered but somewhere along the line they increased it by doubling it saying we never payed a dime, well we showed them pay stubs as proof that we have been paying because it automatically comes out of his paycheck. and they never did anything to change it back.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 6:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2009