How to get started with Christian home schooling?

I am really thinking about home schooling my child and future children! How would I go about starting the process?

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 2:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As far as "getting started" in general - start by researching your state's laws & go from there. www.hslda.org has the rules for every state. Finding local homeschoolers is always a good idea, too. They've "been there & done that".

Easiest thing as far as curriculum goes: just buy a boxed curriculum. They're expensive, but the vast majority of them are Christian-based & include a Bible study, so you'll have no problems there (it's ME who has trouble finding secular materials for my homeschooled kids)

And that's really about it. Just dive in... be VERY patient & VERY flexible. Chances are you'll change your routine, curriculum, support groups, etc several times before you find your niche.

G'luck.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• What Laura1229 said. I will also add, look on here for Cafemom groups for homeschooling. Happy Homeschoolers is a wonderful group and has a mix of secular and Christian homeschoolers. The moms there can help to give you information to get started with homeschooling, where to look for information (including state specific stuff), sometimes you can find moms in your state who can also guide you towards homeschool groups and such as well.

Boxed curriculum are easy to find for Christian homeschooling but they can be very pricey. There are places that sell used curriculum (we have a local store that sells a lot of used Christian curriculum, we got very lucky), many online. Try some of the groups here, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck and have fun homeschooling!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My husband's cousin homeschools three of her five girls (the other two aren't homeschool age yet)

She uses Sonlight curriculum, and loves it.

Yes, it can be pricy, so you might look on Ebay or Craigs List to see if you might find some used.

Also, you might find out what the state requirements are as far as what they want the kids to know, and you can look for stuff on your own.

Another option is called "unschooling" , which I completely reccommend since you are all just starting out.

http://www.unschooling.com/
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Hi ! First let me say that homeschooling is a very big commitment to make, and if you're willing to undergo it, then I think it's wonderful!!
    I have homeschooled for 7 years now and I also have my oldest in Public School, so I can see a little from both sides of the fence...I do prefer homeschooling to the public school system though.
    As far as Christian curriculums..good ones that I have used include ABEKA book, Bob Jones Press, and currently, Switched on Schoolhouse DVD's. Yes the curriculum is expensive but it is so worth it in the long run.
    If you do buy a used curriculum, make sure that it includes both the student and teacher sets. This is the best way to get the most out of what you're teaching. I know that near Atlanta once a year around May, they have a huge convention where new and used homeschooling curriculums are available for lower prices. I really need to get to one of those....
    You will need to contact
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• your local public school system / Board of Education, and fill out a "form of intent" to homeschool. Every state has different laws and it is very important to follow those laws as closely as possible. Here, we usually have to turn in Attendence Forms at the end of each month on the days we school. Our law also mandates at least 4 1/2 hours per day for 180 days of the Core curriculum ( Math, Science, History, Language Arts, Phonics/Spelling.) Of course you can add additional material or not do Science and History every day. We also have a Co-op where we get together for field trips, P.E., fun days, etc. This gives the kids an opportunity to socialize with other homeschooled children.
    I'm sure that you've heard the "bad stories" of parents who don't teach their children from text books at all. I do not recommend this practice. All children need at least a basic knowledge of the Core Courses. Our state also mandates the
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• same testing as public schools have: ITBS, Scranton, etc. It is absolutely mandatory that children in First, Third, Sixth, Nineth, and Twelve grades be tested and turned in to the State. Other years are optional, but most homeschoolers take these tests to see how well they are coming along in each subject.
    The "blessing" here is that it is very flexible and accommodates most all children regardless of age, sex, disabilities or whatever may be the case.
    As for needing the Secular Curriculum...I think most states offer home-based public schooling. This is where the state sends ALL materials and sometimes computers to the children to use for each school year. It has to be turned back in at the end of each year. Attendance is logged in daily and subjects are already assigned each day by a localized teacher in your state. You just have to pull it up on your computer. In GA for instance, I know it's called the Georgia Virtual
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Academy. And I believe in Washington, it's called the Washington Virtual Academy. Anyway, if you go online to www.k12.com you can register your child there and there is an enrollment process required. Once your child is "accepted" the materials for his/her grade is immediately mailed out to your home. (Warning: it can be a little overwhelming when you see the amount of stuff you receive). But, the k12 system basically gives out everything that your child would learn in the public school for that year.
    Again, I've tried it all..my oldest has always been in public school (she's happy), my middle and youngest have always homeschooled. I have used ABEKA, Bob Jones, SOS, etc. they are ALL wonderful Christian based curriculums. This year out of necessity/finances, we enrolled the youngest in k12 (oh, it's free by the way), and she has tons of work every day. I think I'm happier with the "bought" curriculums, but others prefer the
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:39 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• k12 since it's free and as the "Learning Coach" everything is laid out in front of you. All you have to do is read what the material says and it goes step by step for each lesson. It's very simple and you don't even have to get a teaching degree!! hahaha
    Anyway, if you have more questions, feel free to PM me. Sorry I took up so much space on here, but there's just soooooo much out there on homeschooling these days.
    Also, google "homeschooling" and see what you find there. Good Luck and God Bless
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2009