not eating fruits and veggies...

My son is 12 months old and he used to eat his fruits and veggies so great since he started table food at 9 months...now he's not wanting any fruits and veggies..he either hits my hand and the food goes everywhere or he closes his mouth and pulls away. He eats his chicken, steak, and meats really well just not his veggies and fruits...is this a stage? is there anything I can do to make sure he's getting what he needs? Should I just stop feeding him meats and only veggies and if he doesnt eat it he doesnt eat and maybe he'll learn? What do I do??

howardsmom

Asked by howardsmom at 2:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try smoothies... thin ones so it dosn't clog the sippy cup... my son loves frozen anything.. teething sucks !! The frozen blueberries or smoothie mix was his Fav... Good luck !
    SweetAkMom

Answer by SweetAkMom at 3:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My son went through the same phase when he was about 18 months. He'll get back into eating them but in the meantime, you can cut them up really tiny and mix it in with his chicken or meat. Mixing veggies in mashies or rice worked really well for me.
    bobb1

Answer by bobb1 at 4:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• So far all of my children have been through this phase and what we always do, before they get back to eating them, is hide the veggie up real small behind the meat when we're feeding them, basically just mash it in with the meat. None of my children seemed to mind this, it was just the veggies on their own that they absolutely hated!
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 6:23 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• probably a stage, but you can offer vitamins or V-8 fussion. it's 100% juice and gives a full service of fruits and veggies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I agree it's probably just a phase but try offering the veggies and/or fruits at the start of the meal when he's hungriest. Try different veggies or ways of serving them. Something to dip them in might also help. I'm all for hiding them in other foods (there are lots of healthy recipies for breads and muffins that include frutis/veggies) but keep trying to give them to him. If he eats a bite or two, a bit of praise won't hurt! I have the exact opposite problem with my 2 yr old who'll gobble down fruits and veggies but any sort of meat/chicken is a challenge! Ketchup and mustard have helped..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2009