When should I take my child to the denist?

My daughter is 10 months old and has six teeth. When should I take her to the dentist for the first time?

hansonfan1985

Asked by hansonfan1985 at 4:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was always told start at 6 months so they get used to the whole thing, personaly I never took my kids that early, I have a 10 month old and I'm not planning on taking him untill all his teeth come in, I do brush his teeth everyday.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my daughters doc said for me not to take her to the dentist until she is 2years old. and she is one now.
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 4:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I ttok my daughter before she turned 3 and it was a melt down scream fight. They said they would reschedule that it was ok cuz it was still kinda early. She's 3 now and I have to take her back in 6 months to try again. Just brush brush
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• All the dentists in my area told me they don't see kids until they are 3. (We just called last month to make appointments and find a dentist)!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Call around and find the dentist you plan on using. Once you know this, you can call them and ask when they start seeing patients. I used to work for a pediatric dentist and they generally saw kids for the first time at 2 1/2, but they didn't really "clean" the teeth. It was more of a "get to know you" visit where the kids got to see the office, the instruments and the hygienist showed them how to brush their teeth. It was the 3 year visit where they actually cleaned the teeth for the first time, but I do think that first visit was very important in calming children's fears.

Answer by missanc at 8:03 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I worked in Dentistry for 14 yrs. I would start at the age of 2. At this age they are not going to need anything done but you can get them use to the chair so that they are not scared.
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 8:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I just took my 23 month old yesterday. She went about 6 months ago too. All they did was clean her teeth with a toothbrush and put some protectant stuff on her teeth. I also found out that her teeth are too close together so orthodontics are in our future. I knew her teeth were really close but didn't know it was a problem. The dr. said they like to see just a lil bit of space between teeth. So I guess in a few more years we'll be seeing what ortho says. LOL Good luck.
    momof5ga

Answer by momof5ga at 8:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• shoot, my child is 5 and still hasnt gone. she gets her teeth cared for at home so i dont see why she would need to see a dentist unless there was something wrong. its like going to the doctor when youre clearly not in need of medical attention.
    emilsmama

Answer by emilsmama at 9:39 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I am a registered dental assistant and the American Board of Pediatric Dentists recommends a well baby dental check around 1 year of age. Earlier, if you have concerns about anything.
    Babyfeet323

Answer by Babyfeet323 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2009