I understand most Administrative Assistant postions may require an associate or bachelor degree, my question is, what area of expertise is preffered in regards to the degree?

For example, an associates in business? An associates in fine arts ect...That is the question I have been SEARCHING for an answer to an no one can give it to me. The only answers I have recieved thus far is " An accociates or bachelors degree is required" yada yada yada, but no one specifies WHAT KIND. I would like to declare my major soon...

lindsayrose3

Asked by lindsayrose3 at 4:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well, different fields are looking for different things. Are you looking to work in a medical office or for a CEO of a Fortune 500 company, for example? The doctor isn't going to give a damn if you studied international business, and the CEO of Starbucks isn't going to give a damn if you know how to spell oculomandibulodyscephaly. What are you picturing as the type of job you want to do, or think you'll be doing? When you can answer that, the types of classes will become clearer.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:56 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• A lot of times, it doesn't really matter what you're degree is in - the fact that you can get through college say a lot about how on the ball you are. Not only are you somewhat intelligent, but you are also able to work efficiently and under pressure. They just like to see that piece of paper.

Answer by missanc at 8:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• "your" - sorry

Answer by missanc at 8:43 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• do what you love
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• A business degree will carry you far, no matter where you wind up.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Oh my gosh. Are employers asking for degrees for a Administrative Asst job? You got to be kidding me! A person is going to school for 4-5 years, student loan debt to make $12 an hour (at the most).

I'm not being rude, I just cannot believe my eyes that employers are asking for a 4yr degree for a secretarial job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• ....well that anon post is wrong....admin assistants do not make just 12 dollars an hour across the board. It depends on what field you go into. I am going to school for either Health information technology or medical administrative assistant.....both programs are associates and I want to take it further to get a bachelors of health service admin...which can get you a management job with a good pay (above 50 k while the health serv. admin would be around 40k at most)

I looked this up on the bls.com ...it has the statistics for jobs for 2009. health is one of the fields that is growing. More jobs are opening up bc of everything going on with health...
    I cant say I know much about other admin. assistant jobs but if you look into your program guide for whatever school it should give you a list of what you can go into and youcan look it up from there on the bls site....to get you on the right track anyways.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I would take a look inside yourself at what classes were fun to you. If you have already taken classes you should know whether math juts kills ya or if you enjoyed speaking up more, writing...learning about the body, computers...then you will know if your made for a business type job or a mix of business and health in a doctors office setting. Or if you would rather work for someone completely outside these fields. Its better to love what you are doing then make a ton of money and dread it. good luck! to us both! lol
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2009