Do you let your teens stay at home with friends when no adult is at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with the anon that said it's a trust issue.

But, as I explained to my teens, it's not just a matter of trusting them - it's a matter of not putting them in the situation where they have to control other people's actions. This way, there isn't any case of this friend was invited, then they invited a few people, who invited a few people...

Plus, it's a good idea to check with the other parents to see if they mind. My dd got invited to a sleepover when she was in 8th grade. They had gotten together for sleepovers 1 or 2 times before. I found out that for this one, it was going to be our 2 girls (8th grade at the time) , her 15 yr old, her 15 yr old's friend, and possibly her 12 yr old ds and his friend, while she and her friend ( I think the other boy's mom, not sure) were going to be "out at the casino" and they were going to be home alone until about 1am. I wasn't comfortable with that, and said no.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I let my 14 yr old and her two best friends stay one night a few weeks ago when we were out because my she's very responsible, I trust her, and she had my number if anything went wrong. She's always been a very responsible child and when we had to come back earlier because there was complications they were fast asleep. BUT when my second eldest gets to that age there is NO WAY I will let her do that. She is completely different and she needs rules and regulations otherwise she will go completely off the rails I swear!
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 7:56 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• it really depends on the teen themselves.
    when my parents let me stay home by myself at the age of 14. it was always a reason to get up to mischeif - party.
    you really need to take a look at your child and decide whether or not you can trust them to behave. tell them its a privlledge to be aloud to stay at home by themselves and if they break that trust then it is never to happen again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• It depends. There have been a couple of friends I've let stay with my kids for things like I was running to the store or something along those lines.

But, say, have a sleepover if I'm going to be out for the evening? Nope.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• depends. When my daughter had two girls spend the summer yes cause I had to work. But any other time no!
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2009