big fear...

any other moms plus size and fear and don't want that for your DD's i dont eat junk food anymore and no pop and overall good eating habits just cant break the habit of eating a bit 2 much pasta lol but i try not 2 because i fear for my DD i don't want her to be big and deal with the ridicule that is associated with being a larger child/adult my husband feels that its self centered to do all i can to keep her slim because we are not.. thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I think it is not self centered for you to not want your child to be large, it is also unhealthy to be so you feel, and I agree with you, that you are doing what is best for your child. Your size makes no difference at all but if your husband thinks it does then tell him that being a healthy weight is very important for a chidl, so they don't get health problems in later life etc. Good Luck.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 7:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I think that too much emphasis is put on size/weight. While we try to control these, we make everyone around us miserable including ourselves. I think the more important issue is how we see ourselves. We have to be happy with who & what size we are. If we have a bad self image, our children will have a bad self image.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Balance is the key. Yes cutting out junk food and carbonated beverages will help but being active is something many kids don't do anymore. So let her eat but have her play or bike or swim or something to burn up her calories. Kids need food/energy to get through growth spurts. Just make sure it's healthy food. Don't deep fry foods in grease, use olive oil or better yet, steam food or bake food. My grandkids love eating at my house and I don't have anything bad for them here. It's all good, just keep a good balance of calories and activity.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i feel the same way as u do obeesity runs in my family on both sides even though my dd dad is tall and fairly thin i really worry about her being chunky...i to have a hard time keeping weight off i have just recently giving up on it i hated the consint diesting and my dd was eating the same foods i was wich wasnt all that much since i was trying to count calories for now my dd has a problem gaining weight but i did to as a child and when i hit puberty it all caught up with me and i dont want that for my dd i know right now she need to gain weight she only weighs 28 lbs at almost 5 but im trying to teach her how to gain it healthly i limit her sugar and salt intake
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• by the end of next year, one half of American children will be both overweight and undernourished. One third of the children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.

If your family has a healthy lifestyle, filled with moderate exercise (family walks after dinner!), water, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes (beans, tofu, lentils, etc.), you will all be healthy and full of energy!

I have a ton of healthy, tasty, budget and family-friendly recipes. Send me a message offlist if you would like some

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2009