do you know someone in a nursing home?

do you have a loved one in a nursing home? have you/do you work in one? what is your opinion on the care they are getting? when you think of nursing homes what sticks out the most?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i worked in one and it was a nice place just short staffed so it was hard for everyone to get attention. ( at the time i inturned there ) there was 1 women there she was so sweet and wonderful, but she really couldnt move so i would come in every 1/2 ask how she was and if she wanted to turn..she had no tv no reading nothing it was heartbreaking.. i asked my supervisor if i could take her to the park across the street..finally 2 days later she said yes. i asked mrs."smith" if she would like that she shook her head fast and said yes..i was so happy we made planes for the next afternoon..needless to say i came in and my super came up and said im sorry mrs smith isent gonna make it threw the hour...she passed away 40 mins later. i was sad but knew she was better now.. i treat as i want me or loved ones treated. it was a nice place just they needed more help..once u start doing it for the $ its time to go..its about the people.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i have both.. i have worked in one and i agree sometimes it is short staffed so hard for everyone to get attention now nursing homes that are park of hospitals are HORRID would never not allow anyone i love in them, on that note my great grandma is in a great private pay nursing home for she fell and broke her hip shes 93 so she is there during recovery time and i love that nursing home
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My Great Grandma was in one ...she was too sick to be cared for at home. She couldn't talk, eat, use the bathroom ...at that point. So she needed 24 hour monitoring. I hated it. They dropped her trying to get her into the shower and she fractured her hip. It was downhill from that point. But she wanted to be there ...she picked that place out when she was still "with it" and it's a high class, well known place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My FIL was in one for about 4 days. He chose it and received hospice care while there. It really was a wonderful experience. He received excellent care while there. He was there for only 4 days and even so the staff all hugged us and really treated us so well when he died. Brought us tea, made sure he was comfortable, sat with him until we could get there (we got that "midnight phone call" at 6 am.) I would put myself in the care of that nursing home should the need arise.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I used to work in a few, only one was nice enough that I would even consider putting someone I love in. Most of the time they are short staffed and the residents dont get near the attention they should, the staff is not always nice or careful and I just dont think they get the care they should get. I was an LPN when I worked in one, a CNA in the others (before nursing school) Im sure not all are awful, but it seems that there are more problems with nursing homes than there are nice ones. I quit working when I realized that no matter how hard I worked or cared it still wasnt good enough, because one person cant take care of 50 by herself. (it just got to be too much) and the administrators wernt doing anything to fix all the issues
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• What sticks out the most is the smell. My gma 'lived' in one for years and eventually died in one. I hated visiting her, when I was a kid/ teen. It was so, so sad in there all the time.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2009