Fostering

I'm seriously considering becoming a foster parent. I'm single with no biological children, just my stepdaughter who still stays with me every other weekend even though her dad and I are divorcing. I have wanted to foster for a long time, but never had the room when we were married. Now I have a 2 bed room apartment, I have the room, my question is, h0w do I go about getting it started? Will they turn me down because I'm not married? Any info on the subject would be greatly apprecieated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• it will be difficult for you as they do look for married couples the same as if you were to adopt. but give it ago.. in the future i am looking to adopt. GL with it all and i hope it all works out.!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• you can go online to your state's dhs website, and there should be a link for you. possibly a phone number?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My parents fostered as well. They adopted four children had two of their own and basically claimed me as one of their own. ( i was a foster child). Usually you would have to go to your local DHS site and sign up for the classes. they do a whole background check and several other things to make sure you can afford to foster. last I knew they did accept single parent fosters but mainly would place same sex child in the home with that parent. God bless you for wanting to help out foster kids. I hope you get the information you need and God bless!
    Cameolynn

Answer by Cameolynn at 3:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009