Did you know the most well-known Bible verse isn't in the Bible?

According to a Gallup Poll, the most well-known verse is:"The Lord helps those who help themselves." That,of course is in the book of Hezekiah! Meaning, it's not even a Bible verse. I was a little surprised by this, but not too much. Nothing really surprises me anymore. What do you think?

stvmen88

Asked by stvmen88 at 8:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yeah, I never thought it was biblical... And I would have to agree that I though John 3:16 was the most known. Although now that I think of it, more people know about John 3:16 than actually know what it says. If they knew what it said they wouldn't be writing it on posters for WWE matches.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:24 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I'm sorry,not a Gallup poll, a Barna poll! Brain not engaged fully yet! LOL.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• that surprises me..just because of watching televised sports, i would've thought john 3:16 was the most known. go figure!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• let me add, it doesn't surprise me that people assume an something is scripture, because it sounds like it could be.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I know,I agree. I went to try and find the poll,and I can't seem to,but I saw it the other day while I was studying something else. I'll go try to find it.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 8:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I never thought that was a Bible verse. I thought is was an observation - I guess the error came in when people said it so much that people thought it was in the Bible, then later just came to accept that it must be. And Hezekiah , I think I'm right, was a king of Judah. Wasn't he the king that removed all the idols of worship?

Just goes to prove how much something can get imprinted on society just by sheer repetition, huh?
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:07 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i would've thought john 3:16 was the most known.

I think that might be the most well-known chapter and verse by name, but I doubt any who aren't bible readers know what it actually says.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• NP and sabrina...LOL--you're so right, again! guess i didn't clarify..
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Pacemyself, yes, Hezekiah was indeed a great king. We just always say things that aren't really in the Bible are in the Book of Hezekiah,since there is no such book. LOL. And, Sabrina,you are so right, if people knew the meaning behind John 3:16,they wouldn't be making light of it.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• This is the silliest thing I've ever heard. Who is too say what is "well-known?"

I grew up Baptist and every verse we ever learned came directly from the Bible. We had to even memorize the book, chapter, and verse # along with the scripture.

This is just more anti-Christian propaganda that's intended to undermine the faith of believer.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:43 AM on Sep. 1, 2009