to early for kids?

id like to get a job but its at 6 30 AM, do you think its to early for me to take my kids to the day care THAT early? thier 8 months old, and 2 years old. i like it cause i can have weekends off, but its only at 6 30 AM. what do you think?
id like advice on this, its my first job since having kids...so im not sure what expect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• missanc: some of the daycares around my area actually open up at 5am (the one my son CAN go to if I need him to opens at 6am)

OP: I don't think it is the best thing if you can control it. Your kids would have to be going to bed at around 5:30/6:00pm to get the sleep they need at that age. Unless you have someone who can watch them in the mornings and then take them to daycare for you to pick them up. I know on the RARE occasion that I actually go into the office, I feel like I have no time to spend with my son because we both have to go to bed so early, and the time we do have is 'rough' because he is a grouch, and sometimes so am I, because we didn't get enough sleep. That is SO not worth it to me....but your family might not work like mine. Kids at age 2 should be getting 13-15 hrs of sleep throughout the day/night. But I know people who because of their schedules, their kids only sleep 8 hrs a night and no nap...cont.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 11:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Personally I think that getting them up at that time is fine providing you get them to sleep early the night before and they get the required number of hours of sleep. Good Luck to you with your new job, I hope it goes well.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 9:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I didn't know daycares were OPEN that early - wow! I used to drop my kids off at before school care at 7 (when they opened) and thought that was early. If it works with your schedule, it's fine - much better than keeping them up until all hours because you're working late. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 9:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I live in MA and the daycares around me don't open until 6:30 or 7am and some you have to pick up by 4 am. I would think if you can get on a schedule and get them to bed early so they can get the sleep they need and you need the money then GO FOR IT!!!! Personally I wouldn't work that early unless I really NEEDED TO!! Also would it be possible for there father to drop them at day care later???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I noticed you already chose an answer to this question in the other category that suited your needs. You're wanting someone to pat you on the back and say this is ok. You can pretend it is, but this decision is not what's best for your children.

It will mess up their sleep schedule. This is way to early to drag small children to daycare and dump them off for the day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Sleep helps in development and growth, so to me, it's not worth shortchanging my son.
    ProudSingleMum

• Kids that age don't care what time they get up or go to bed as long as they get enough sleep. and you will have to keep the same hours on the weekends. Kids don't sleep in on Saturday mornings. My concern is do you really have to work with kids SO young? Day care for that age is an arm and a leg and frequently when you add in gas and taxes you aren't actually bringing home an income.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Litlte kids are flexible, they will be fine.

Your instincts are correct; now is the time to establish your career and savings for retirement and college. Your kids will need you much more between the ages of 12 and 18, than they do now.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• anon who left the fourth answer, shut the fuck up. there is nothing wrong with getting as much advice on this as she can and have it help her make a good decision. look at her last sentence, "id like advice on this, its my first job since having kids...so im not sure what expect. " she didnt say she was going to do it. she said needed ADVICE on what to expect. get over yourself and be helpful and not annoying. people dont need your negative 2 cents!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2009