Does your instincts tell you to....

Intervene when you see a man beating a women, or see two women fighting, or kids fighting or a mother hitting her child. How would you handle these situations?

grandmasix

Asked by grandmasix at 8:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• The only time I have seen a man beating a woman I was at work at a restaurant. I called 911 - I was concerned about my safety or the safety of anyone that intervened, the man was obviously angry. I felt awful, and still do that I didn't step in, but I honestly don't think that would have accomplished anything other than getting myself hurt. If I saw kids fighting, yes I would intervene. Mother hitting child - it depends. Is she smacking their hand, or actually beating them? If she were beating them I would call police and then find a man close by to step in. I'm physically very small and couldn't do a whole lot to hold most people.

Answer by missanc at 9:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• A woman beating a man....then yes I would attempt to do whatever was in my power to do without getting hurt myself. Two women fighting, no I wouldn't do anything. Kids fighting...no I wouldn't do anything.

To be honest though these totally depend on the situations and the magnitude of them.

If a mother was hitting her child I don't think I'd intervene either because to be honest that's her jurisdiction, unless she was practically beating her child and it seemed to be nmothing. Then I'd consider calling CPS.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 9:05 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• 911

Answer by admckenzie at 9:09 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• *I thought you meant LITTLE kids fighting.
    if like teenagers then 911
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 9:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I may call 911 if I feel it's serious. IF a mom is spanking her child then no i am not going to call. If she is fighting her child and the child is being attacked I would call 911. Kids fighting I may say HEY please stop and if they don't I would call 911. I don't see people just fighting like that in the streets, so if I did I would be inclined to call the police to sort that out.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2009