Do you prefer vaginal or anal sex?

Would you casually ask this question to people in the office?

What were the results of your last pap smear? Would you ask this to stranger in line at the grocery store?

Have you ever had any surgical procedures? Would you bring up this topic to another mom sitting in the park?

No? Then don't ask another woman if she had a vaginal birth or a c-section! The question is just as inappropriate!

I feel like something has been stolen from me and I can't get it back. I can't go to the store and buy a new birthing experience. It's stuck with me forever and just when I think I'm over it, someone has to go and ask, "Did you have a vaginal birth or a c-section?" And then they want to know why. I've been forced into this conversation more times than I can count and it rips the emotional scar of the c-section wide open once again.

The real question: I need some good one-liners to shut people up who ask this obnoxious question.

yakamoz

Asked by yakamoz at 9:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• "No the stork dropped him/her off." (in a serious voice)
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 9:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Ugh that your kids were blue light specials at K-mart. Seriously. Then end result is the child, who cares how your child got there
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• just smile and nod.. over and over again but dont say a word
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 9:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Oh and my pap smear was normal, thanks for caring ;)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I don't mean to be insensitive, but I don't understand the trauma over the csection instead of vaginal birth. You gave birth to your child, it doesn't matter how. I had to have a csection with my 4th instead of the vaginal birth I had with my first 3 - my 4th is my husband's only and at the time I felt like I had "robbed" my husband of the typical birth experience. But now I have a beautiful, healthy, happy baby boy and I'd take that anyday over the traumatic vaginal birth experience I had with my 1st where he came out blue, with the cord wrapped around his neck and they had to break his shoulder bone to get him out. It's MUCH more important that your baby is healthy than HOW he came out of you.

Answer by missanc at 9:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• missanc, with all due respect, not everyone finds a c-section emotionally traumatic, which is probably why so many people ask the question so casually. However, and whether you understand it or not, some people DO find it emotionally painful and grieve over the loss of the birth experience they anticipated and prepared for for 9 months (or more). This is why the question should NOT be asked so casually. It shouldn't be asked at all. If a woman wants you to know she had a c-section, she'll tell you. If she wants to talk about it, she'll bring it up. Just because you have come to terms with your c-section and have peace about it doesn't mean every woman is in that place. I hope to come to that place, but I'm just not there yet. Being asked about my experience again and again doesn't exactly help me move on, you know?
    yakamoz

Answer by yakamoz at 9:24 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Just do not answer them. When they ask tell them that is private information.

Answer by louise2 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Here's a one liner for u. I am internally deformed and my baby came out of my ass.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 9:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• That is personal information. I can't imagine anyone asking that... as you said, it is similar to asking if you had a pap smear... why would people want to know. A friend would know already, so it must be an acquaintance or stranger asking. So, being carefully polite, even though affronted, I'd say "It doesn't really matter does it, the baby is healthy, that's what matters. "

I have heard moms feel badly about having a C-Section instead of vaginal birth. So this is a true sadness that they have, but a vaginal birth or a C-Section- there is no magic or mystical event in a vaginal delivery. All it is is getting the baby out. It is just as much a miracle one way as the other.

Answer by Bmat at 10:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Just give them the wrong answer. That way you can play mind games with them. Get into depth about the topic and get gross. Its actually fun. I've gone through this too. People are too nosy about personal stuff. I bet they wont ask anymore!
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2009