Questions for moms with kids that have ADD not ADHD

My son is 10 years old, 2nd twin born of a c-section. Typically, that twin get a little less oxygen and can have delays. He's always had learning problems IN SHCOOL. However, he can re-count any wrestling match, names, signature moves, same with movies: any action sequence he can describe.

He goes to a special teacher for math and reading and he is doing fairly well.
The question is: my husband knows a guy at work with a daughter with same problems, she was diagnosed with ADD and put on straterra (sp?) and it has worked wonders. Anyone know anything about this diagnosis and this drug. I've never put my kids on anything. I haven't approached a doc about it yet but am seriously considering.

lovetwins89

Asked by lovetwins89 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Not really sure what issues your son is having...however I will tell you that my son is also 10 and has been diagnosed with adhd. He can concentrate for long periods of time on things that he likes. He loves legos and video games and tv. He will do these things for hours and be very upset with us when we make him stop doing those things. My son is on concerta and a drug called tenex for many years now. I am very pleased with the effects these meds have had on my son. He started out on just the tenex and this helped alot. Tenex is a blood pressure pill for adults but in children with adhd it slows them down. Makes them much calmer, if that makes ant sense?? Good luck with whatever you and your husband decide to do!
    sara13178

Answer by sara13178 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My dd is 9 and has ADD/ADHD. Shebegan having troubles in Kindergarten, focusing and sitting still, not completing homework, etc. She was diagnosed at age 6 and has been on meds since then, we tried a few and have settled on Focalin, 15 mg in the a.m. and 5 mg at about 1:30 p.m. It makes a WORLD of a difference, as sometimes in the summer she would wake up laate and I wouldn't give her meds because I thought they would keep her up too long. She is a different child when she has taken her meds, she can focus on things for long periods of time, she is reading at a 5-6 grade level and can associate better with her peers. Even she notices the difference. It was a tough decision for dh and I to put her on meds, really think about it before you take your son in for an evaluation. Was your dh or SO have it as a child? It is largely hereditary, as my dh had it as a kid and now takes meds for it as an adult. GL!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 2:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my son was dig. the med didnt work for him it gave him a tick n he lost weight..but all kids are diff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2009