Feeding baby(ies) at night causes childhood obesity?

So on the Today Show they were talking about childhood obesity. One of the things they said was causing the problem was older babies being fed throughout the night. In previous generations, moms were told to let their babies (our age) CIO and so we slept through the night earlier than most babies do today. Do you think that feeding 6, 9, 12 month old babies several times at night is contributing to childhood obesity?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That's just too much of a blanket statement. I never fed my kids at night, they slept. But my son was 22lbs when he was just 6 months old, talk about fat. Obesse childrend usually have Obesse parents, that's where the focus needs to be
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• No. Sitting your kid in front of a tv or gaming system instead of going outside to kick a ball and run around causes childhood obesity.

When I was a child we were raised on processed foods, but didn't have any gaming system to park our lard butts in front of after we ate. We went outside to ride bikes and play kickball.

How can you determine if a 6 month old will be obese later in childhood from eating milk and starter foods. The Today Show needs to STFU.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I guess we should let the infants starve and scream all night? WTF!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Sounds like crap
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• IMO the focus should be more on what children are eating in general instead of worrying about their eating habits. for example...my son still drinks milk at night which is supposed to be a big no no because it increases the risk of obesity. however, he eats 3 healthy, well balanced, meals a day with healthy snacks in between. instead of chips-he gets celery for a snack. we are not super strict about that though. he can have junk food but it is limited. instead of soda-we drink water (actually the 3 of us drink about 5 quarts of water per day combined). you just have to find the right balance and get excercise. thats another problem-kids would rather watch tv or play games instead of playing outside. i think these things is where the focus should go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• well...research does show that formula feeding/bottle feeding leaves one more prone to obesity...because there is no natural regulation of "I am done eating" or "I am full". Sadly, studies like the one you mentioned don't always take these things into account! There would have to be a split group where one is exclusively BFed and one is FFed ...then it would have a shot at showing the "feeding through the night" correlation".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I tend to agree with the first anon. Planning several hours of organized sports/playgroups a week is not the same as letting your kids just run free all day long like we did as kids. We had 1 TV in our house and my mom was usually watching it. We didn't get a game system until I was 11 (also when we got our own TVs) but we only had cable for 1 year when I was 12/13. There was nothing on TV so we spent our days outside. Even when it was super hot or snowing. From the time we got home from school until bed (after homework) or from breakfast until dark in the summer we were outside.
    Now parents are so paranoid they lock their kids up and schedule physical activities after school (sports or whatever) or a couple hours on the weekend if they have time. It's not the same.
    My kids were all formula fed, eat some junk food, watch a ton of TV but are all super skinny because they spend all day outside playing (without me).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• All these studies are just friggen stupid AND they are almost always manipulated to prove what WANTS to be proved. So don't listen to them. Formula fed babies dont' have anymore of a chance being obesse than a BF babie. Baby's who eat at night instead of sleeping are only at risk of having tired and cranky parents from not sleeping. It's all a bunch of crap.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:23 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I don't know if it is a contributing factor or not..but it is a factor of sleep deprivation. I think by 6 months old a baby should be able to make it thru the night without being fed. But that's just MO
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2009