How do I drymy cell phone off after it was immersed in liquid?

I just dropped my cell phone in Hot Chocolate. UGH!!! This is the 2nd time this year I have dropped it in some kind of liquid. But I just got this phone about a month ago so its a new phone. I need advice on how I can dry it out. Did your phone work after it was immersed in liquid? I don't have very good luck at all. Help, please, I don't want to have to get a new one!!! Thanks:)

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Home & Garden

• bag of rice ... open the bag and push the phone down in ..
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• shit -- i cant remember if u have to take it apart or not
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:39 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• take the battery out first.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:39 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My SO cousin does this often and oddly his phone still works. He will take the battery out of it, open it if its a flip phone, and set it infront of a fan for a few hours. It always works after.
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 9:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Turn it off and take the back off and the battier out. Dry it off with a towel and leave it disassembled for a long time. Might want to use a blow drier on it too. I have had to do this before.

Answer by louise2 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my phone is waterproof
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 10:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Turn it off. Take the battery off. Towel dry all the pieces. If you can hear liquid (I hope not!), drain the phone on a towel. Then use a heat source to thoroughly dry everything. A couple months ago, I put mine on top of a toaster oven for 30 minutes or so to dry it out. I'm sure a hair dryer would work too or that one spot on your stove that's always warmer than the rest when you turn the oven on. Once all the parts are really dry, charge the battery before you turn it back on. Worked like a charm for us!
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:56 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Using a direct heat source (Hair dryer, heater, etc) will ruin a phone your best bet is to disassemble the phone and place it in a bag of dry rice as another mom said. I've done this a few times and mine still works even after 2 years.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:31 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I'm just trying to picture how it got in the hot chocolate! LOL!! Good luck. I spilled a glass of wine on mine once and that was the end of it. :(
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 11:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• LOL...Oh you poor dear! I've dropped my phone in the sink while washing dishes and talking, in the tub while talking on the phone to DH and ran his through the wash cycle TWICE. That last thing really did it and we bought him a waterproof phone after that.

I took the battery out of mine. Opened the phone and towel dried it, then blow dried it to help evaporate some of the water, then left it to dry on it's own and kept saying "Oh please work, Oh please work" every time I went to check on it to see if it was dry yet or not. Luckily, it worked just fine. I hate spending money on a new cell phone. Mine is over 4years old and has been through H*ll ! I'll keep it until it's completely DEAD though.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 12:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2009