I know everyone hates to "race card" but i am curious...

I was at a birthday party on Sunday, & was super shocked to hear a woman say "a black man should not be president, he is just too stupid" Since i kind of know this old hag, i told her that SHE was very stupid for assuming that blacks are stupid. She continued to say; "there is something seriously wrong w/ a black president in America, and i'm not ashamed to admit that" She said "most people wont admit how they feel, but i certainly will"

I was utterly shocked. Does anyone else actually hear people mumble this crap?

I know racism is real, but when it's shoved in your face...it just feels so gut wrenching & horrible to experience people talk this way. I guess i was naive, i really thought that people just don't like his policies....but obviously, some people just don't like that he is black.

Obviously, a lot just simply don't like his policies...

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 9:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I guess what I'm asking is,

has anyone else experienced open racism like this? Or have any family members like this (i have distant racist reletives)
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• All the time. It's the 800 lb gorilla in the room. A lot of the old people were coming of age when black people still had to sit on the back on the bus. They will never accept it and they pass it down to their kids, who pass it down to us, etc. My father is like that and it annoys me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I am not shocked at all. Some people feel that the higher office belongs to a white man. Since it has been that way since the beginning of time. They are afraid of change. They feel threatened. Thankfully its only a handful of people like that. There are more open minded people in this world than their are closed minded people.
    Anonymous

• I've heard the race remark since he even announced his candidacy by one particular man in my neighborhood!

First, it was "A black man can't be President, who's that ol' Omaha think he is!"
    Then it was,"A black man will never be President in my country! Just makes it easier for John McCain to be President!"
    Then it was.."If Obama gets elected I'm moving to ______"
    Now he sits in his house making crazy flyers about how Obama is the devil, about impeachment, and he's made several remarks about Our PRESIDENT, his own shotgun and who I assume his personal hero is, Lee Harvey Oswald.

And I'm not even kidding or exaggerating.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 10:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I don't know anyone like this and I live in the Midwest. When we lived in Cali I did know many racists. Most were blacks that hated mexicans or white people. There were 5 families that would not let their kids play with the other kids in the housing development because of their race. One called me cracker and white bread all the time. I just told her she was a dumb ass. So glad we moved. The neighborhood we are in is very diverse and people don't care about race. We are about caring for our families and living our lives. I think most people are this way.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have heard very few racist remarks from my conservative friends and family. I do however hear many remarks on the specific policies that he and Democrats in office are pushing that they have issues with. I know that's the case with me.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• One called me cracker and white bread all the time.

OMG, I know it's horrible, but I just think that is so funny.  I heard that for the first time when I moved to FL and it was completely lost on me what was actually being said.  I suppose I was blissfully ignorant at the time.  Good times.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have never liked racism and so I have pursued to live in harmony with other people.

I grew up in a place where I was bussed in to a different school just so there was a balance of white and black children going to school there, I was never mean to anyone and I liked my school until I was spit on, called names, had my skirt pulled down, stabbed with a pencil and was jumped all by 6th grade by the black kids, so I seen racism, I experienced it myself, because it happened to me who is white, I was a tiny little white girl, trying to get a education and I was abused by those kids who were not nice to me.

I decided to heal from the abuse and forgive them and not be a racist like they were.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I was shcoked at how many women said (during the election) that a woman should NOT be president. She couldn't run the country effectively because of hormones and religious reasons were the most common reasons given

The racist, yes, I have heard some and no, it doesn't surprise me
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• When I was at a political rally in support of Obama, several people drove by yelling out their windows that Obama was a N-word and one even screamed at us, "If Obama gets elected, he will be lynched like he deserves."
    We had several people yell about assassinating him if he was elected. Racism is still alive and IMO growing, since Obama took office.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Sep. 1, 2009