Help! I have a horrible sore throat and cold. What can I take?

I'm 36 weeks pregnant and have the worst sore throat I've ever had and a head cold. I think I slept maybe 2 hours total last night. It was horrible. Now I'm sitting at work and can't even function. I tried the lemon tea with honey, and gargling with salt water. Nothing has helped. What can I take that won't hurt the baby?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 9:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My doc told me to avoid menthol/eucalyptus drops (not good for a sore throat, too stimulating for the baby) and to take chamomile tea with honey. It worked beautifully, but will make you a little sleepy.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 10:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Talk to your doctor about what you can take. Me personally I do not like to take anything except at night to get some sleep.

Answer by louise2 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• that sucks. you should surround yourself w/ eucaluptus/menthol be it rubs, drops, teas whatever. I also believe tylenol doesn't hurt the baby.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 10:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Gargle warm salt water, take a hot and steamy shower, and coat yourself with Vick's Vabor rub! I feel so sorry for you! There is nothing worse than being sick when you are prego!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 10:03 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Well zinc suppliments can help you get over the cold symtpoms faster. For the sore throat you can use cholaseptic sp? spray as directed (every 4 hours i think?) Make sure you get that throat checked out though to rule out strep or something like that.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 10:20 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I know you can take Tylenol, Sudafed, Tylenol Cold, and Benedryl. Atleast that's what my doctor told me I could take when I got sick. The Tylenol Cold and Flu REALLY helped.
    Maya09

Answer by Maya09 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Please do not listen to any of the other replies and go straight to your dr. If you were to be having any other complications some over the counter medications could be harmful to you. Every woman is different. I personally have high blood pressure so I can't take things like cold meds and such..AND I have a blood clotting disorder and am on heparin so that also limits what I am allowed to take. Please do not get advice like that on cafemom or on any social website!!
    eku_mommy

Answer by eku_mommy at 10:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Thanks for all the advice. EKU Mommy, I just talked to my doctors office and they said I could take several medications that are safe, including Chloroseptic and tylenol. I'm going to leave work early and go home to get some rest. I'm going to try to take as little medicine as possible and just drink lots of fluids, but I know I will have to take something tonight. I can not have another night like last night. It was horrible.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2009