Can they set the table?

i know i always wanted to help my mom.. can your kids set the table like back in the day? Im not even gonna lie my boy wouldnt even know where to start.. lol

How about your kids?

ArlieBeeMee

Asked by ArlieBeeMee at 9:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, they can put the silverware, cups and plates on the table and get them in a close approximation of where they belong. My 5 year old probably could/should do a better job, but I think the other two (3 and 2 years) are doing okay.

They'll have it soon...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I believe a child can do anything that is taught to them...are the parents willing to teach their child what was taught to children back in the day....

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Parent are on this Earth to teach there kids how to become good Adults. That is what chores are for to teach them things that they will need in adulthood.

Answer by louise2 at 9:56 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I doubt it. The only time we eat at the table is on holidays and even then it's buffet style so there is no point to set the table if you are going to get up with your plate to get your food. Last year I made an effort to set it. Even ironed the table cloth (one of my gram's old linen ones), found some placemats and cloth napkins my mom had made and broke out the actual dishes, lol. We usually eat on colorful plastic plates.
    The kids figured out how to put a plate at each chair and a fork and spoon. That was all that was involved in setting the table even when I was a kid. The only time we ever got all fancy was holidays and we would get out my gramma's china (which I still have but refuse to get out with the kids around).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Yes, my son knows how to set the table because I taught him how to do it. We eat together as a family, and all of our meals at our dining room table, so he gets lots of practice setting the table.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I don't even know how to do formal place settings with all the different silverware. My kids set the table, but it just consists of a plate, a glass of water, and the utensils we will be using for that meal at each place.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:09 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My 8 year old has been setting the table for almost three years. Since we don't have a seven course meal it's pretty easy for him.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 11:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My 3 and 6 year old love to do this. The problem is, it takes 10 x longer when they help. I hand them 1 plate at a time and they bring them to the table. They get the forks and napkins. It usually erupts in a fight between them - who gets to put out who's plate. I try to quietly do it without them noticing so that I can have peace and quiet! They also clear the table, not the 3 year old. That is a big help.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have been teaching my 13 year old stepson to set the table. I have also taught him how to figure out how to use all the pieces in social situations (i.e. multiple forks - start from the outside and work your way in towards the plate). You might not think this is important now, but I really think kids need to be taught basic social graces/manners and this is one of them. When I first met my husband, the kid's manners were worse than my dogs'! LOL. I also use table setting to teach him that everybody has to pitch in and help and that nobody is going to wait on him. He also has to help clear the table. Dinner at his mother's house is usually a free-for-all and I think he appreciates a little "refinement" and being taught these things.
    lbjbarbie

Answer by lbjbarbie at 1:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My kids can't set the table in a formal layout, but my 7 and 8 year olds can set it for daily use. Heck, my 2 year old makes a darn good effort at it. (I don't ask him to, it's just something he sometimes likes to do and does on his own).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2009