Military mom, after a year away, has custody issues, thoughts?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/nyregion/01guard.html?_r=2&hp

This Mom served her country, had a written family care plan and it is now being ignored. She is only allowed a few hours at a time with her 1 year old daughter.......

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Ohhhh, I am very conflicted over this. I can't imagine the pain it must cost the mother to not be able to be with her daughter. On the flip side of this situation, I don't know that I would be wanting to almost completely let go of a child I raised and who has come to depend on me for love, comfort, support, protection, etc. Logically speaking though, what the father is doing isn't in the best interest of his daughter. He is acting selfish and needs to give more time to the mother so that she can build that relationship with her child. 

If only all parents would put the child first.  How sad for that little girl.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:15 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• sorry, I meant *must cause the mother*

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:16 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• This is very wrong it needs to be fixed. If I was a young women with a small child I would not go overseas if that could happen to me.
    I could of never let go of my child when I got home. I would of just taken her.
    Also she needs a Very good Lawyer.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:17 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• How many men have had this same thing happen to them when they get home? I think it is wrong when a mom or dad are kept away from their child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I agree with anon above me. I saw this happen countless times to the men when they returned from deployments while I was active duty. The would come back from Iraq stressed by a lengthy deployment only to have custody issues to take care of too.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I cannot believe a judge would even allow this!
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:26 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I thought that issues of custody could not be decided until the parent who is in service (mom or dad) has returned. Being absent for military duty isn't to be able to be used as an issue in divorce or custody. There must be more to this than is known.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• That is so wrong, and I think they act like the child can't understand and can't still have a connection with her mother.

My daughter only saw her Daddy for 2 weeks, between 3 and 5 weeks old, before he came hom when she was 9 months old. She knew exactly who he was, and went right to him, in the middle of her stranger anxiety phase. In the weeks before he came home, you could even ask her where Daddy was and she'd find a picture of him and point to him.

This last time, our son was only 4 months old and our daughter only 2, and when my husband returned when they were 18 months and 3 1/2, they both knew exactly who he was and they adjusted just fine to his return.

Things like this are just sad.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009