How do you get a 19month old to stop bitting?

When my 19month old daughter gets mad or wants something she'll bite in order to get it. She doesn't talk much. The kids at her daycare are afraid of her. Some of her bites cause black & blue marks and some will break the skin.

mamaagain6

Asked by mamaagain6 at 10:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Bite her back...I'm not kidding...that is about the only way to stop it...don't bite hard enough to leave marks but enough to hurt...my DD did this to me and I bit her back and she stopped.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have heard of this before... They don't call it terrable 2s for nothing. (I know she isn't 2 yet but almost) I agree with the last poster. Bite her back. I know you can't tell the day care people to bite her (they will call social services or something) or call her dr and ask for a suggestion.
    VinniesMommie

Answer by VinniesMommie at 11:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't bite her back, how can you teach not to bite by biting? that just doesn't make any sense, with my 12 month old we simply say no biting in a firm tone and put him down and walk away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Just understand that biting is a reaction, not an action on yoru childs part at this age. Often, kids are just frustrated and lash out. As they get older, they learn to control this better. At day care, the teacher will have to respond as it happens, not after as their mind is already somewhere else. And lavish the child that was bit wtih attention, and ignore the biter. Also consider offering a towel or teething toy for your child to carry. Encourage her to bite that instead. Pratice with it and show her so she gets the idea. Luckily, this is usually just a phase. Sometimes related to teething.

http://childcare.about.com/od/behaviors/a/stopbitingtips.htm?terms=biting
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• A freind of mine was having the same problem with her son. Her pediatrician told her to immediately put him in his room (or into his car seat if she was out) and ignore him completely for a while (10 minutes I believe is what he recommended). I found that immediately putting my son down, telling him biting was wrong and ignoring him also did the trick. Daycare is tougher but if you can get them to isolate him in a similar manner, that would help.

I disagree with the advice to bite back.. You'll never get your child to understand that biting is wrong if you do it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I bit back. It stopped the biting. Her dad bit back and she hasn't bit him since either. I have also pinched back and as recently as last night. I want to show her that it hurts when you do these things and that it is not acceptable. I tell her no biting it hurts and then I bite, and the same with pinching. My DD hasn't tried either of these things since we have punished in the manner that we have.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2009