Expectations of a SAHD

My DH has recently become a SAHD to our two daughters. I know I need to be patient with him as he settles into the routine, but he is not a big housekeeper and two weeks in he has cleaned one bathroom once, and vacuumed the entire house maybe twice. What kind of cleaning routine seems reasonable to (kindly!)encourage him into so I am not spending my entire weekend cleaning?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• I doubt any woman on here would be open to kind encouragement to clean the house. They would go off on a tangent about how much they do just watching the kids. They expect their husbands to help them clean when they are off work. I would sit down with your husband and discuss this in a very nonconfrontational way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I agree with the first reply.

Also he's probably just enjoying his freedom of being home and not working. Give it a while, if he still isn't cleaning maybe ask him if he needs help doing anything. Or in the mornings ask if he gets a minute if he could vacuum, but do it nicely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I think you should thank him for the cleaning he is doing. Positive reinforcements. As long as the house is tidy, not necessarily spotless, then let him get into his own routine. I'm a SAHM and my bathrooms rarely get a full cleaning. I am too busy with 3 kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Sep. 1, 2009